Building a powder oven help

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Building a powder oven help

Post by gamble »

I used to have the larger oven they had at Harbor freight. I loved it, but sold it due to moving and needed room. Big mistake, can't find one anymore. Seems anyone that has one won't let them go.
Thinking about building one but I honestly know nothing about it. I have a 2x2 table and local shop that supplies my material sheared to size. Wondering if it's just easier to build one. Something super basic that can hold a 2x2 piece at the very largest hanging. So the inside needs to be a little larger than 2x2.

So that leads to a few questions.
Can it be galvanized? I know welding and plasma cutting galvanized is dangerous but is using it as an oven at 500* or less?

Should it be welded together or riveted?

Can I make one that is efficient running on 110v? Or have one that pulls very low amps on 220v? I have (1) 220v circuit that is 30amps. I'd like to leave the plasma hooked up and use it while the oven is running if possible.

For something small and basic, how much can I expect to be into it? And how long do they typically take to build? I don't want something that will take me 2 months to build. Something rather quick
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Building a powder oven help

Post by acourtjester »

Gamble there is no great black magic in building a powder coating oven. You build a metal box with a door cover it with standard fiberglass insulation from home depot. Make it the shape you want the bigger the more elements you will need. You can scrounge a element from a standard home oven either the oven of cook top type. wire it for 220 volts AC (110 would take to long to heat up if you could find a element). Buy a control (PID) from Ebay and a solid state relay to control the temps.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-PID-Temper ... SwAYtWGNNM
You can also buy heating elements from Ebay too very cheap, I used 2 large stove tops units in mine I think they are 2300 watts each.
I made mine out of 55 gal drums in a horizontal position I stand it on its end for storage. I have a trolley to hang the parts on and roll in/out of the oven. maybe it cost $75.
powder coat oven (4).jpg
powder coat oven (7).jpg
powder coat oven (7).jpg
powder coat oven controller (1).jpg
powder coat cart (3).jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Gamble, this site may be of some help to you.

Steve

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2012/11/ ... jRBbLerSCg
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I guess I am just over thinking it all. Never played with a pid, heating elements or fiberglass
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a wiring diagram for the oven.
The PID controller is programmed using switches on the front and once set you just turn it on/off to use.
You set the temp you want and how much it varies around that temp and it brings it up and then keeps it stable.
The PID turns the solid state relay on/off to control the heating elements to maintain the temp in the oven.
The PID uses the temp probe in the oven after the temp is set.
powder coat over controll2.jpg
I used the standard 4" fiberglass bats (no paper backing) and the outside of my oven stays cool.
Put a small vent to allow the powders out gases to excape.

have fun

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Gamble
no intention of hi-jacking your thread but read your post, the part that says:

"Can I make one that is efficient running on 110v? Or have one that pulls very low amps on 220v? I have (1) 220v circuit that is 30amps. I'd like to leave the plasma hooked up and use it while the oven is running if possible."

this thread got me thinking :o

that question fits my situation to a "T"

I have an old indirect oil fired space heater, that's the sort where the combustion is inside a tube which then exhaust through a chimney to outside.

The fan (same principle as a normal space heater) blows the shop air over the tube to heat it, then into the shop.
this all means the hot air coming from the heater is clean or as clean as the air it is circulating in the shop

I have this idea about trying to use this heater to heat a powder coat oven (yet to be built)so the only power draw is the blower fan the heat is coming from the combustion :idea:

All the safety, temp control and control electronics are already built into the heater 8-)
just as an indication the end wall of the combustion chamber /tube where the air exits the heater glows red when its running

My concerns are:
1. would the flow of air from the space heater blowing straight into the box oven disturb the powder, do I need to some how baffle the incoming air
2. do I recycle the air in the oven or just use shop air to feed the system and vent the oven to allow the heated air back out (to the outside)
3.would blowing the hot air into a cavity / jacket around the inner oven shell heat sufficiently, maybe using aluminium sheeting internally with baffles / diffusers to fill the cavity with the hot blown air

I suppose I am looking for sounding boards as to whether or not this might work, I am sure some where out there with so many like minded people who ponder things like this the same as me :lol: you never know it might even inspire some one else to consider this principle

maybe a few good suggestions could help ;)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

So on another note and a silly question.

Could I use an electric smoker as an oven? They are pretty cheap
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

With out insulation you would loose to much heat. You could look at using it for a quickie by using paper backed fiberglass and wrap it up with duck tape. but you still need some sort of temp regulation to get to 450 and hold it there. Even my small electric smoker has insulation but it only goes to 250. Good for pulled pork not power coating :lol:
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I thought some went to 450. Boo
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Steve001
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Steve001 »

I built mine out of an old chest freezer turned up on end. Fitted two 3 kw oven elements and used the oven rheostat to control it. I got the elements and rheostat from eBay for £25. Was given the chest freezer which had gone wrong. Did take the plastic liner off the lid, now a door, and replace it with an off cut of 2mm tread plate. If anyone is interested will post some pictures.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I would be interested in photos.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Steve

second that I also would like to take a look at some pics of your conversion freezer job :D
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

Hello Steve,
I third the motion!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

Me to. what did you do with the rest of the freezer lining. Did you put a vent hole in some where. What about a seal around the door?
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

i found this on the side of the road on trash day
one mans trash is another mans treasure :D
my powdercoat oven

all controls are built in, nothing to buy
i did strip out all the topside heater elements and the controls
now it runs on a 20 amp 240 volt circuit
and it comes with a built in light :D

Last edited by _Ogre on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

This is what I used on my oven, worked like a charm. Easy to install, just drill small holes for the expanding clips to press into and your done.

http://www.firesleeveandtape.com/self-c ... glass.html

Can't remember where exactly I got it from but this looks like a good site and they might sell it by the foot. Seems like maybe Grangier may have been where I got mine....need to check.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

There are similar clips used for auto trim
http://www.perfectfit.com/15290/155962/ ... -Ford.html
I'm sure you can buy like 5 in a pack at the auto parts store.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Steve001
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Steve001 »

Photos of powder coat oven.
The plastic liner on the lid/door was removed and as you can see now has an offcut of 2mm tread plate on it, the insulation is still behind it. The internal lining of the freezer is the original lining of thin aluminium over the insulation (our chest freezer in the house is the same) Seal around the door is the original one. Fitted the rheostat in the same position as the freezer thermostat. Two temp probes can be seen, one is for the rheostat and the other is for a digital readout I fitted later, from eBay. There is a small vent hole drilled in the back. The powder I use cures at 160 degs. It's the only type I have used so don't know if that's standard. The sign on the front was put there as I kept getting asked why I had a old chest freezer on it's side in the workshop. Wheels where added to make it easier to move around but to date it has never been moved. Anything that has fitted in the oven has cured OK.
I did first try it outside, just in case it went up in flames, but as you can see it didn't. It did smell a bit on the first couple of uses but fine now.

http://s1044.photobucket.com/user/plasm ... l.jpg.html

Total cost not including the wheels was £25
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Steve

Thanks for posting the pic's, definitely might have to consider doing the same :idea:

what make / supplier do you use for your powder that cures @ 160 degrees :?: how much/kilo-lb do you pay
and another question :!: :lol: what sort of range of colours can you get :?:

Thanks again ;)
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
Steve001
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Steve001 »

Use the gun and powders from http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/
When I first got the gun I nearly sent it back, I didn't believe static charge would be any good and viewed it as a gimmick, but in the end gave it a go and have to say that for our level of use it works well, you can see the powder bend towards the part. Have not yet seen any degrade in the coatings I have applied. The powder costs about £70 for 5kgs. All I do is heat up the oven to about 160 degs put the coated part in for 20 mins. I do though only use it for our own machines/cars and equipment/parts we make for our own use, so if I get it wrong I can only blame myself :-)
At the last count they do about 60 different colours, no RAL code colours which I may need to use soon to match some parts I want to make, so will have to look into that, any advice gratefully received as to temp required and would I need a new gun etc.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi every one

As the heading says "Building a powder oven help"

I am in the thought and reading stage of my oven build :( I intend using a indirect oil fired space heater as the heat source).
I think I can over come the space heater start up and cool down cycles by leaving the space heater on all the time and not use the space heaters in-built temperature control link that shuts down and re-fires it as and when required (the start up is no big deal but the cool down blows cold air for ages)
BUT
With the space heater on all the time, this will give me a problem of maintaining a constant temp in the oven.

My plan to get around this is to have the duct into the oven from the space heater split - teed, so as the oven needs heat it goes straight in, but when its up to temp a flap / vane in the duct moves and sends the heated air to the shop and not into the oven unless it needs it.

As a mechanical biased person in sounds simple :lol: what I want is a PID temperature controller with a thermocouple in the oven, a rotary actuator mounted on the flap spindle to either open or close the inlet into the oven (ideally it would be proportional) so when the oven calls for heat the flap opens and then feathers the amount of heat being allowed into the oven to maintain the temp proportionally (I think that's the hysteresis bit).

Can I find the right bits of kit to do this - Yes individually, Do I know how to get them working with each other to do what I want - No, I haven't got a clue.

My cry for help is aimed at the electronic gurus out there who understand this electronic wizardry who can help me put together a shopping list of items that will work together and control the oven temp and maybe a wiring diagram :?:

I have gone round and round googled most things now and I am still confused :cry:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :?
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Just in case you were interested and have read the last post, the reason I want to use a oil fired indirect space heater is:

1, I do not have sufficient power to run both an electric oven and my PM 45 at the same time + compressor, drier, lighting+ + + :shock:
2, I thought the indirect option would give a cleaner hot air supply into the oven, no burn or exhaust fumes and smut to contaminate the oven :!:
3, I thought it was going to be easy :lol: mechanically it is :D Its the question above that's stopped me dead in my tracks at the moment :(
4 I thought it was a good idea at the time :oops:
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

exapprentice wrote:Hi Steve

Thanks for posting the pic's, definitely might have to consider doing the same :idea:

what make / supplier do you use for your powder that cures @ 160 degrees :?: how much/kilo-lb do you pay
and another question :!: :lol: what sort of range of colours can you get :?:

Thanks again ;)
He is talking 160°C which is 320°F
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi "Nacs Fab"

Thanks for the heads up about the temperatures above, I didn't panic I just assumed Steve was talking degrees C because the UK doesn't use degrees F anymore just degrees C
(or now I can copy your text and use the symbols °C & °F) ;)
Best Regards to all
(Pete)
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

the good ol usa shouldn't use *F anymore either, we should go metric, it makes engineering math so much easier
not many manufacturers use it much anymore, not sure what's stopping us,
other than our congress obviously can't do math or basic checkbook balancing :D
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “Powder Coat”