Infrared Powder Coating Curing

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Infrared Powder Coating Curing

Post by Metriccar »

I have no room for a powder coating oven.

I was planning on powder coating some bigger objects, fireplace screens.
Only reason I want to do it myself is because I am going to put patina on it and I can't touch the patina let alone put it in a truck, drive it down somewhere, have them touch it, etc. The patina will be scratched and all.

Do these things work? Anyone know of one they can suggest?
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Infrared Powder Coating Curing

Post by Nacs Fab »

I am also interested in this - I have a 30x40 shop and dont want to build an oven to be in my way - if this works as advertised, it may suit my needs for larger artwork and deck panel coating. I had considered looking into the kit below.

http://www.eastwood.com/infrared-powder ... ystem.html

Any experience with Eastwood guns?

For my smaller artwork pieces, I will probably just get a residential oven, or convert an old refrigerator case into an oven.
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Infrared Powder Coating Curing

Post by kkroger »

Eastwood guns and Harbor Freight guns are pretty much equal... the Dual Voltage Gun is helpful.. sometimes.
You can get the HF gun right now for $65 and then use the 20% or 25% off coupon. the Gun that Caswell coatings sells is similar to the HF but has more voltage settings. They also sell the same cups... Later I will get a Wagner or other pro gun... All of these are cup fed Fluidizer type, the pro guns can feed from a box/bag.
Eastwood powders are overpriced, Prismatic Powders and Powder buy the pound have more selection and better prices.
The Catch with the IR heaters is it only gets one side of the part, and heats the SURFACE of the powder.. the METAL doesn't get to temp. One could probably make a reflector of sorts that would get both sides or use two of the IR lamps and put the part between them.
I started out using a Kitchen Oven... Works fine but is only about 20" across and can get SOME things longer if hung or laid diagonally... New oven (I don't do anything terribly large) will be 32" square inside and about 70" tall...
Multiple levels and racks, footprint is only about 36x36...on wheels. My blast cabinet dust collector is also on wheels so it can be dragged outside (no matter what the bags and filters are dust still escapes!)

Return to “Powder Coat”