Powder Coat Pro

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Powder Coat Pro

Post by Gogo »

Just picked this up from Amazon. It is assembled in the USA with USA support. Started out with the Harbor Freight unit, it got the job done in one or two tries mostly. But the canister kept falling off and giant blobs kept coming out, and I got shocked no less than three times, as well as a few other issues, but other than that it was great. ;-)

Orders are increasing, but my budget was under $500 so it was this or the redline. I took a flyer on this one so I will see. But an important item to note. the jars are readily available for this one as it is the same threads as Aldi Peanut butter jars so as long as I keep giving peanut butter to my dog for treats I am good to go on jars so I have that going for me.

I will post in a week or two as to how it works after I have some time with it. Mentioned as I have not seen much on this unit. Its a no lose as if it does not work out I can return. But the visual quality alone looks miles better. If it works well It could shave off a lot of time for me not having to deal with the frustrations everyday. Hope to but the harbor freight in a box for a back up.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powder Coat Pro

Post by tinspark »

Gogo wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:49 am "I got shocked no less than three times, as well as a few other issues, but other than that it was great."
"as long as I keep giving peanut butter to my dog for treats I am good to go on jars so I have that going for me."
Thanks for the chuckle..
Also, I am curious how well it works, So keep us posted.
And, hopefully no electro-shock therapy with the new one.. :)
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

LOL, I got a chuckle from this post also, love it. I am interested in looking at this unit also and did a quick search on Amazon for it but came up with nothing. Can you post a link? Looking to ditch my Eastwood gun which has worked great but similar issues to what you describe and its over 10 years old now.
tinspark

Post by tinspark »

sonbakler wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:34 pm LOL, I got a chuckle from this post also, love it. I am interested in looking at this unit also and did a quick search on Amazon for it but came up with nothing. Can you post a link? Looking to ditch my Eastwood gun which has worked great but similar issues to what you describe and its over 10 years old now.
I think you may have been requesting the info from gogo, but I looked it up arlier today and came up with this one. Maybe gogo can confirm, but the name and peanut butter jar matches up pretty well...
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

that is the one. i didn’t have time today to use it.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Ah ya, meant to ask Gogo. Curious how it works out for you. Thanks for the links guys, will check it out :Like :Like
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

tinspark wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:47 pm
sonbakler wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:34 pm LOL, I got a chuckle from this post also, love it. I am interested in looking at this unit also and did a quick search on Amazon for it but came up with nothing. Can you post a link? Looking to ditch my Eastwood gun which has worked great but similar issues to what you describe and its over 10 years old now.
I think you may have been requesting the info from gogo, but I looked it up arlier today and came up with this one. Maybe gogo can confirm, but the name and peanut butter jar matches up pretty well...

I couldn't see the link until I replied with quote. But then it still doesn't appear in the quote. Very curious why.
David
powder coat gun 1.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/PowderCoatPro-Co ... B09QD6Q2TH
powder coat gun.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

Well I finally had a chance to use it today. Compared to the harbor freight it is night and day. The spray cloud is nice and even and micro adjustable at the gun with a little valve. I don't have a booth yet and do mostly small parts. The pile of powder on the floor when I used the harbor freight was huge and way more than what was on the parts. lots of waste. With this new one, way less waste, there was just a dusting on the floor. So I should save back the cost just on powder costs alone.

Secondly, the time it took to do the parts was about 1/4 of what I was used to. It just attached to the parts and no globs, the cup didn't fall off once, I didn't have to tap on it while I was powder coating. I also did not have to get out tape and rubber bands to hold it on. So the time savings is substantial.
and best of all, I didn't get electrocuted even once. All in all I am super happy with it. it works like it should. fast easy and quick. perfect for small parts.

Aslo edit to add, I am in no way affiliated with this product. Just usually a sucker for new products if they are put together in the US and claim to be better than imports. Most times it works out like this one but not always.
34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34by151 »

Any upgrade from HF/China/Eastwood guns is a big step up although they are a great low cost starting point.

Regardless of the gun I highly recommend doing some proper grounding
Use a ground rod at your booth
Connect the rod to your systems ground wire
Then connect the rod to your both and make a clipped wire for your part

After that make a simple corona ring for your gun
As long as its a copper ring around the gun barrel connected to earth it will work fine
https://www.tiktok.com/@7herealseabass/ ... 3501261058

After that you can get fancy but all it needs to be is a grounded ring

Ive also gone tough a lot of ways of hanging parts
Settled on rolling frames but I made the bar where you hang the parts rotate.
So much easier to work with

Finally for hangers I just use fencing wire
It cheep and easy to cut size
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

Thanks, I did drill a hole in the floor and put in an 8" rod. I toss in some water once in a while too. I already have a clean ground on the outbuilding but one more near can't hurt. Been using some scraps strands of stranded copper wire I have laying around for hanging. Also using refrigerated air. Still using a $50 craigslist oven but it has sweet controls with a set function and timer and convection and alarm. Sometime I will build my own oven and cannibalize the controls from this one with some added relays.
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

Thanks for the review, sounds like a good alternative to my Eastwood gun. Appreciate it :Like :Like
34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34by151 »

Gogo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:13 pm Still using a $50 craigslist oven but it has sweet controls with a set function and timer and convection and alarm.
I started out with a converted wall oven. Removed all the mechanical controls. Kept the grill and oven elements and wired them together. Added a PID temp controller. Added switches for the Fan and Light.
I latter built an 1200x1200x2400mm (8x4x4) which is is powered with 2 stage diesel heater (Riello 40) 120Kw controlled by a PID

I still have the wall oven an use it from time to time for small parts although I try to put them in the big oven when I have spare space

As a bonus I use the oven for other things as well. Preheating parts before welding or before bluing and curing paint.
Also getting ready to build a bigger oven 2400x2400x2400 (8x8x8). Will be powering that using another diesel heater Riello RG5D (300kw)
Not sure if I will keep or sell the current oven.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Thinking about buying a PCP it will be my learner gun , do you still like yours ?
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

I do, I use it a lot, It seems to hold just enough for a mostly full rack, not full but mostly. Uses standard jars I have a 100 of and I made a little cart for it in my shop and sheathed the cables together. Very happy with it. Take less than a minute to pull apart and spray out with air to change colors. I am not an advanced powder coater but it works great for me and my results have been great as well. I have zero complaints, I could make it a bit better with a bigger jar and longer tube but that is it. I have yet to be shocked by it as well so that is a plus. I have a 36 x 36 x 84 oven now.
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Thanks for the update !
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Gun showed up Monday ! Hope to have spray booth finished this weekend . The controls were bad in the old oven I bought so wired in a Pid control , works good ,can't wait to try it out .
Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

getting ready to build one. have any pics?
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

Not yet .
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

This is my beginners powder coat booth and oven , coated my first few things today !
Don't have any thing to compare it to , but the PCP gun worked like it should, I had no problems .
I was surprised how easy it was to clean up when finished , shop vac'ed the booth and filter and blew out the gun .
I had already done the acid bath so I just threw them in bead blast cabinet blew them off and coated had a couple of really small fish eyes , all and all everything turned out ok .

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Gogo
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Gogo »

looks good. so the spray box is literally only an enclosure with a filter and fan behind it?
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

I have it ducted to a grizzly dust collector fan blowing outside through a louver , its just a 4 inch duct but worked great !
I used a 4x12 floor duct I had I will probably replace it 12 x 12 sheet metal box . Powder stayed in box .
Dirtmotor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dirtmotor »

So dogs already tired of peanut butter , Evidently there is a shortage of 17 oz jars , who knew !
DieselFumes
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by DieselFumes »

Dirtmotor wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:43 am So dogs already tired of peanut butter , Evidently there is a shortage of 17 oz jars , who knew !
:HaHa :HaHa wow he must have had a lot of peanut butter!

Great looking setup, I will be looking into that gun to replace my Eastwood since it seems to be getting decent reviews.

Love the little booth. I just coat right over top of my plasma table with the downdraft fan ON but I think I am wasting a lot of powder.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your setup :Like

Return to “Powder Coat”