Sand blasting media

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
PPD

Sand blasting media

Post by PPD » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Best media for removing mill scale off of metal for powder coating, I'm using coal slag now and I'm having to watch how
much I concentrate on a certain area for warping, Plus it's taking forever. Is there a better media for quicker results?

Thanks

sonbakler

Re: Sand blasting media

Post by sonbakler » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:39 pm

I use the black slag media also, I find it s to most aggressive media that readily available around here but that mill scale is tough sh@* I have not found anything that will easily remove mill scale other than a muriatic acid bath. I have given up on grinding or blasting and use the acid bath. Buying cold roll steel for certain jobs is also an option I use.

PPD

Post by PPD » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:36 am

Thats a good idea, How long do you let it soak in the acid for?

sonbakler

Post by sonbakler » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:59 am

I leave it in overnight, check in the morning and if it needs a little more time I will leave it longer but that usually does it. Honestly I put off this technique for a long time but now that I have tried it I will never do anything else. It works so good and even smooths out sharp edges, its amazing really and so simple. After the bath you would swear some of the parts look laser cut.

PPD

Post by PPD » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info!!

Is the acid a one time use? if not how do you know when to change it?

4Dscreenart

Post by 4Dscreenart » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:12 pm

I use the acid for anything smaller than 36x36. The acid in my tub is a few months old. usually I pull it out and rinse of with H2O then scrub with a scrub brush and dawn to clean it off. My solution is about 50/50 ith water. does a good job removing dross as well or if I don't let it soak long enough makes removing the dross much nicer.

sonbakler

Post by sonbakler » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:29 am

PPD wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:18 pm
Awesome, thanks for the info!!

Is the acid a one time use? if not how do you know when to change it?
Just like 4Dscreenart my acid is many months old. I notice it loses some potency with time and parts need to soak a little longer but it lasts a very long time. I keep my soak tub outside except for in the winter but always have it covered with a lid to prevent fumes from escaping.

Return to “Powder Coat”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC