Patina with powder coat

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Patina with powder coat

Post by Metriccar »

Does anyone do a good patina finish with powder coating? The best I see online is a crinkle type finish. Are there any good patina powder coats out there?
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Patina with powder coat

Post by motoguy »

I use Steel F-X and then powdercoat clear over it.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
blackandtan
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by blackandtan »

Do you have to do anything special before powder coating over the patinas? What do you do on the back?
nomoreusmc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by nomoreusmc »

powder coat normally totally encapsulate your part that's why there's no patinas. Paginas are usually done with paint afterwards and some paint can survive the powder coat clear process. If you'd like to know more just PM me
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

blackandtan wrote:Do you have to do anything special before powder coating over the patinas? What do you do on the back?
Nope. Just make sure it's completely dry before you powder it. This should be done anyway, as leaving the patina finishes wet is an invite for near-instant surface rust. I spray the back with clear as well, just to seal it up.

Warning: The Steel F/X patinas appear to be heat sensitive. You may have to play with your oven to find a good point to clear them. If they're left in too long, or too hot, all the color will wash out to a "piss yellow". It's ugly.

I know my oven runs about 20 degrees above the controller display. I use Clear vision, which is supposed to clear at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. I set my oven to 370 (390 actual), put the part in, and set the timer for 10 minutes. This is a tiny bit undercured (due to the reduced time, and starting timer before PMT), but it gives great results. The difference between a beautiful clear-coated patina part, and a roached-out piss yellow mess, seems to be a matter of a minute or two.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
blackandtan

Post by blackandtan »

Thanks for the response. I will do some small test pieces with patina to get an idea how it will turn out. That is one of the biggest reasons that I am trying to get set up to powder coat is for patinas. Two part clear turns out great but the fumes, over spray, gun cleaning and drying time is for the birds.

Return to “Powder Coat”