Steele FX

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Steele FX

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Has anyone used the metal dyes offered by steele fx, was wonderind what the advantages over paint are, and any other input or thoughts would be of help.
Thanks
Mike
hobbyrobbie
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Steele FX

Post by hobbyrobbie »

I have an order due in tomorrow and am very excited. Watched the video that Bill did with the ducks and couldn't wait to place an order. Advantages....don't know, but the coloring possibilities are endless. And, Bill was quick to take my call regarding the copper application and explain what I had done incorrectly. I highly recommend his patinas and will pass judgment on the dyes soon, however I know they will be great.
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

Kentuckyfarmer wrote:Has anyone used the metal dyes offered by steele fx, was wonderind what the advantages over paint are, and any other input or thoughts would be of help.
Thanks
Mike
The Solvent Dyes are Translucent. Unlike paint, there are NO pigments, so the steel (or any metal, for that matter)
is not hidden. You have the option of adding a few drops of White, which is pigmented, to any of the translucent dyes to turn them into an opaque color.

The Black Solvent Dye is also translucent, but can be sparingly added to any of the other colors to darken (shade) the colors into a darker hue or intensity.

The Dyes are all compatible with each other & can be combined to make an endless myriad of colors, tints & shades.

They dry instantly & the finished product will be accentuated & colors will become brighter when clear-coated.

If you have any more questions, let me know. Also, let me know if there are any other patina colors or products you'd like to see added to my Supplies page.

thanks!

Bill
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Thanks Bill I will give them a try before long
Mike
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I just used the Copper F/X on a few pieces I made and the results were amazing. The 1st one didn't come out so well but after watching the video on Bill's site I realized I was leaving a step out and the rest came out great. I just donated one of the pieces to the local VFW yesterday at a BBQ and they loved it.
larrycameron44
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by larrycameron44 »

steelfx wrote:
Kentuckyfarmer wrote:Has anyone used the metal dyes offered by steele fx, was wonderind what the advantages over paint are, and any other input or thoughts would be of help.
Thanks
Mike
The Solvent Dyes are Translucent. Unlike paint, there are NO pigments, so the steel (or any metal, for that matter)
is not hidden. You have the option of adding a few drops of White, which is pigmented, to any of the translucent dyes to turn them into an opaque color.

The Black Solvent Dye is also translucent, but can be sparingly added to any of the other colors to darken (shade) the colors into a darker hue or intensity.

The Dyes are all compatible with each other & can be combined to make an endless myriad of colors, tints & shades.

They dry instantly & the finished product will be accentuated & colors will become brighter when clear-coated.

If you have any more questions, let me know. Also, let me know if there are any other patina colors or products you'd like to see added to my Supplies page.

thanks!

Bill
Bill are any of your products ok to ship internationally or is there a hazard component?

Larry
New Zealand
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Larry in NZ,

I do ship to Australia & NZ, but only by Ocean Freight.
Takes about 4 weeks and usually costs more in shipping than
the cost of the product.

thanks,

Bill
dreamer
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by dreamer »

the patinas and dyes are fantastic and easy to use. check out my page on facebook to see what we have done with them.( Night Owl Dreams ) thanks Bill........Harold D. Buff
mwade123
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mwade123 »

I just spent about $1200 on all the patinas, dies and other supplies.
from what I've seen in the videos, I hope its as easy as he makes it look.
Plasma cam DHC2
Hypetherm Power Max 65
Miller 212 Auto Set
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

mwade123 wrote:I just spent about $1200 on all the patinas, dies and other supplies.
from what I've seen in the videos, I hope its as easy as he makes it look.
If you have questions....don't be shy about calling Bill, He is very helpfull. It will take some practice if you have never done it before, but it is pretty easy.
Brian
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I just ordered the master starter kit last night and got shipping confirmation this morning. I am Bill is awesome to work with... This is the way all businesses should run! Can't wait to get the patinas and see what is possible for an old garage hacked like me to do!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Oldsarge wrote:I just ordered the master starter kit last night and got shipping confirmation this morning. I am Bill is awesome to work with... This is the way all businesses should run! Can't wait to get the patinas and see what is possible for an old garage hacked like me to do!

Oldsarge
Oldsarge~

I think you'll be amazed at the finishes you can accomplish with the Master Starter Kit. And, thank you for the compliments.

Bill

:)
swidick
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by swidick »

I am in for the FX. Ordered the book too. Thanx for all everyone's input it helped me in my buying decision.
Steel Cut
Hypertherm 45, Burntable 4x8, Air dryer
Draftsight, Sheetcam, Mach 3, 1953 Chevy COE Crew 4x4 Duramax 2500

Return to “Patina Finishes”