Polish cold rolled steel?

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Polish cold rolled steel?

Post by gamble »

Typically I do hot rolled and this is my first time using cold rolled. I used a worn 36grit flap and didn't really get the results I want. Same as I do on hot rolled. What's the best way to polish cold rolled?
I have a 36" piece I need to polish for patina. Lets just say it didn't come out so great so I have to start over. Also never had to do one this size before.

Would those little roll lock pieces work?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Polish cold rolled steel?

Post by littlefatbuddy »

A little late on the reply. I work with cold rolled and SteelFX all the time. I use either a green scotch brite or 320 wet sandpaper. I don't spend a lot of time with either one. The scotch brite is really just a scuff to get an residual oil off the metal. If I am concerned about a more uniform appearance I will you use the 320 and take a little more time. I have been very happy with the results from this method.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

i did the patina but this was my first time doing a piece this large so of course it doesn't look very good. would you still use a 320 grit to remove the patina and start over?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

Sorry gamble I just saw this. If I am unhappy with my initial spray of Copper I will use the scotch brite if it still has a enough grit, if not I will grab the 320, I really use the previous copper almost like a scratch coat. Similar to doing body work on a car. I have also been playing around with spraying the copper onto a wet surface. It seems to work ok and gets a little deeper look and a little more time before it starts to flash to the brownish color.

Return to “Patina Finishes”