Metal Dye's - what to use and how to use?

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Metal Dye's - what to use and how to use?

Post by Nacs Fab »

I am very interested in hearing some of your input on the Steel F/X metal dyes if any of you have experience with them. I figure it is concentrated, but need to know how far can you get on one 8oz bottle? On many of the pieces I have seen, it is a brilliant color - is this achieved by using the concentrated dye or is it being thinned out. How are you guys applying it?

Maybe this all could be answered by Bill Worden. All of your input is much appreciated. Thanks!
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
kb3gun
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Metal Dye's - what to use and how to use?

Post by kb3gun »

I don't thin the FX dies. I will say that a little goes a long way. I can barely see the color when I spray it on. It's the clearcoat that really brings out the color and makes it pop.
-Smitty
Torchmate 4X4 Growth Series w/AVHC
Hypertherm PM45 w/ Machine Torch
Miller Syncrowave 210 TIG
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Metal Dye's - what to use and how to use?

Post by Redneck »

The label says you can thin them up to 25% and I usually do thin them a little. These sound expensive when you are buying them, but it really does go a LONG way, and you really don't use very much. I've done several pieces with this and it really is easy to use and looks good.

Here is one I've done, and you can look around my FB page and see more.

https://www.facebook.com/westphalironwo ... =3&theater

Return to “Patina Finishes”