Temperature . . .

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Temperature . . .

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Temperature . . . does this affect Steel FX patinas & dyes . . .

I am in the process of designing and building a bench style paint booth to solve painting vs. outdoor conditions. . . temperature, humidity, etc. . .

The indoor downdraft booth would take care of rattle can, clear coat from a gun & FX dyes . . .

I had planned an outdoor wet area for doing FX patinas . . .but curious if temperature would affect application.

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Temperature . . .

Post by plain ol Bill »

Temperature always has an affect on finishing item. Ideally the temp should be over 60 degrees but as you well know that is not always possible. Cold has a tendency to make surfaces "cloudy" plus it take a lot longer for a finish to harden. You being in Baton Rouge you should not have near the problems we do further north.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi

I haven't ever used the FX finishes, but as a general rule of thumb you can count on a chemical reaction rate doubling for every 10C (18F) increase in temperature if you hold all other conditions constant.

John
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Temperature . . . does this affect Steel FX patinas & dyes . . .

I am in the process of designing and building a bench style paint booth to solve painting vs. outdoor conditions. . . temperature, humidity, etc. . .

The indoor downdraft booth would take care of rattle can, clear coat from a gun & FX dyes . . .

I had planned an outdoor wet area for doing FX patinas . . .but curious if temperature would affect application.

Steve
Hi Steve,

As long as the patinas are not frozen solid, they will work the same from 33F - 120F.

The term "finishing" may indeed apply to patinas, base-coats, PC or Top-Coats (Clear-Coating). And, as mentioned, 60F & Rising or temps above 60F are recommended for solvent-based clears, as well as most primers and base-coats.

60F & Rising does NOT APPLY to patina or dye application.

The Dyes will not freeze until temps drop to approx. -150F, so that's not an issue either.

And lastly...not one of my patinas increases in chemical reactivity in vitro, steel contact or efficacy in application/results when temps rise every 18 degrees.

If that were true, I'd have to adjust each my formulas about 52X a year in order to get the same results.

I'm actually stunned that that theorum was posted in this thread as fact, or as something that would even apply to what we all do with the patinas.

It may apply to particular lab conditions involving exothermic reactions and/or other multi-chemical interactions, anomalies or formulae, but has no relationship or bearing to STEEL F/X? Patinas.

BTW...All of my patinas go through a freeze/thaw test before making them available for distribution.

Every single one of the patinas made by STEEL F/X? can be frozen solid, subsequently thawed & used just the same as if they'd never been frozen, with no deleterious results. Guaranteed!

thanks,

Bill
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

WOW ! ! !

That's what you call product knowledge . . . :D

Thanks,
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC