'Start To Finish' - 3 Videos - Just Uploaded!

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

'Start To Finish' - 3 Videos - Just Uploaded!

Post by steelfx »

Hi!
I recently filmed the entire process of prep, patinas & clear-coating. The project was a commissioned piece that I designed and called, "Heroes of the Alamo". It is a 2-piece wall mural that will fill a space approx. 7' wide X 30" Tall.

Hopefully, there will be some little something that shows the basic techniques of applying patinas & clear-coat.

Comments Welcome! :)

http://steelfxpatinas.com/patina-project-start-finish/ Each Video is approx. 5-6 Minutes Long and they're all on my website & youtube. My youtube channel is: https://www.youtube.com/user/billworden1953/featured & there's now over 25 Videos with more in the works!

Thanks!

Bill
steel patinas_how-to_steelfxpatinas.com.jpg
alamo to ps.jpg
alamo heroes to ps.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: 'Start To Finish' - 3 Videos - Just Uploaded!

Post by muzza »

Great looking piece and good videos thanks Bill, the wife thought I was watching "Deliverance" ;) :lol:
Murray
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

looks great. I should have an order for you in a couple weeks. Right now i am trying to get good at the cutting and cleaning. Just using some rattle can paint right now.
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

What exactly is "mill scale?" Is that another term for rust? All of my sheet metal is rust free and has a slight layer of oil on it.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Mill scale is basically the outer surface coating generated as part of the hot rolling process. You'll find it on pretty much all forms of hot rolled sheet, plate, bar, angles etc. The scale is generally removed prior to any decorative coating as it hampers adhesion or keying of the finish coat. If you bend hot rolled product you'll notice how the dark coating flakes away from the metal at the fold or bend showing the lack of real adhesion to the parent metal.

You'd be using cold rolled or pickled and oiled then if it's clean and oily.
Murray
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I'm watching these videos and I do not see where you put patina on the 3 heads piece.
You stripped all mill scale and everything else off that piece with the disc, yet it has areas that are darker, giving it an aged appearance. How was that done?
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Metriccar wrote:I'm watching these videos and I do not see where you put patina on the 3 heads piece.
You stripped all mill scale and everything else off that piece with the disc, yet it has areas that are darker, giving it an aged appearance. How was that done?
Howdy!

The Busts were done exactly the same way as the main Alamo piece. COPPER F/X, followed by GOLD RUST F/X. Then, just a little BRONZE F/X for further darkening & depth. I burnished most of the BRONZE F/X off, leaving just a hint of deep browns in certain areas.

I had 3 cameras rolling on each segment. Total HD footage was over 80 Gigs & almost 5 hrs. of total footage, from 3 different angles. I had to edit and condense all that footage into reasonable viewing paramaters, i.e. 5-7 mins. for each video in the 3-Video Series. The editing alone took me approx. 14 hrs.

Total Prep, Patina & Clear-coating on this project would typically be under 1 hour. So, don't misunderstand when I say that I had 5 hrs. of film footage. The cameras were rolling, even while nothing much was happening.

What I was trying to show is the complete process of Steel Preparation, Patina Application & Clear-coating, and how
incredibly easy it is.

I could do a 1 hr. video on any of those segments, but no one would watch an hr. long video, so editing is a vital part of what remains for the viewer, hopefully enough to hold their interest til the end.

Bottom Line is This: The process of colorizing steel & applying a gallery-quality finish is very, very easy. The Best Part? It's way more profitable than you might imagine.

This Alamo Project was under 14 square feet. Had I not been filming and dancing around 5 tripods (3 for Cameras & 2 for Lighting), I (or anyone else) could have finished the entire project, from polishing to clear-coating, in a couple of hours, tops. Depends a little on how many breaks you take. I take my share of 'em.

It was a commissioned piece from a gentleman in San Antonio, TX. His Cost: $1,850.00 plus shipping.

Not $1,850.00 because I'm the best at metal-finishing, and not because it was commissioned. He saw photos on my old site of the patina work I've done on many dozens of pieces over the past number of years, and had to have "that" type of patina finish.

When I was doing shows a few years back, my patinated/clear-coated pieces sold for an average of 3 Times More than the same piece in Black. And, they sold out first. Always.

Had I powder-coated the whole thing black, his cost would have been approx. $595.00.

The patinas and clear-coat for this job were under $15.00. My cost to have it powder-coated would have been
$55.00.

Hope that helps.

Bill :D
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

I can vouch for the "value added $$ math" of using Steel FX Patina and Clearcoat.....as a successful metal art designer,fabricator, and finisher......(successful means I take in on average 30-40 % more $$$ than what I spend on materials, AND make a nice hourly rate on top of that ) If I offer a customer a choice of powdercoat or Steel FX Patina and Clearcoat, my profit margin on powdercoating expense just does not begin to match my profit margin on using Steel FX Patina and Clearcoat.....I can get a higher markup on the patina and clearcoat materials, AND I get the nice hourly rate for applying it......instead of my powdercoater getting paid to apply his powdercoat material.....hope you all get it:)

Have a great weekend!!!

Marty
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

Wife told me my starter kit mad it to the hosue yesterday. I can't wait till give it a try sunday. I might try tonight if i get home from work at a decent time.
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

wilber wrote:Wife told me my starter kit mad it to the hosue yesterday. I can't wait till give it a try sunday. I might try tonight if i get home from work at a decent time.
Cool! If you have any questions, I'll be in my shop all weekend, if you need to call or email! Have Fun & Let us know how it went!

:D

Return to “Patina Finishes”