Are there any alternatives to Steel-FX?

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
tigger_na
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Are there any alternatives to Steel-FX?

Post by tigger_na »

Dear Forumites
Does anybody here know of companies who sell products similar to Steel-FX? Failing which, does anybody perhaps have a direct contact number for Steel-FX (*not* the 1-800 number)?
Best regards
Arthur
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Are there any alternatives to Steel-FX?

Post by Metriccar »

There is Sculpt Nouveau, but I have found Steel-FX a lot easier to use and give better results.
Bill gave his number in the previous thread: Feel free to reach me by email at billworden@steelf-x.com or call my Shop at
1-800-710-1273, anytime. My cell is: 435-668-7244 if you need to text me or MMS a photo
. Not sure what's wrong with an 800 number, it's not like it would send you to a different person/company.
tigger_na
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tigger_na »

Thank you. I think I ran into Sculpt Nouveau on the Net, but their product pallette isn't nearly as complete or interesting as Steel-FXs. I might be banging my head against a spam filter or something, but my e-mails remain unanswered. Will check the address you quoted against the one I have.
For all I know there's absolutely nothing wrong with the toll-free number, its just that it is unusable with international calls. Thanks again for the info, I appreciate it.
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

contact steelfxpatinas.com.img.jpg
contact form_steelfxpatinas.com.jpg
http://steelfxpatinas.com/shipping-contact-info

https://www.facebook.com/steelfxpatinas
facebook page for steelfxpatinas.com.jpg
billworden@steelf-x.com OR bill@steelf-x.com (both work fine)

1-435-668-7244 (Cell Phone) Voice, SMS or MMS

(Smoke Signals, Morse Code, HAM Radio, CB/FRS Radio and Mental Telepathy are no longer used). ;)

1-800-710-1273 is an Inbound Toll-Free number that works from anywhere in the world. Due to the volume of calls received daily, you may have to leave a message. I return all calls except for questions that have no relevance to my products, steel patinas or finishing. Hang-ups are not returned. When calling from outside the United States, do not enter the "1" twice. The "1" is the International Code for the U.S.

I can check my emails to verify that I have received an email from you if I knew your email address or name attached to the email.

thanks,

Bill

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by steelfx on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigger_na
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tigger_na »

Dear Mr. Worden

Thank your for the reply. It it simply amazing how many contact avenues you have, and still I'm unable to use any of them, successfully, that is. No, from my fixed line the toll-free number doesn't work, but I just figured out that it does work from a mobile phone *if* you omit the +1 international code to the States, so +1 1-800-710-1273 is a no-go, while +1-800-710-1273 connects. :oops:

I'll try the direct web submission again, right away, thank you.

Best regards
Arthur (arthur@namweb.cc)
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

(Smoke Signals, Morse Code, HAM Radio, CB/FRS Radio and Mental Telepathy are no longer used). ;)
I can't believe you have not seen the smoke signals... might be my fault i can never remember if 1 short puff followed by 2 long puffs is north or south..

I could not resist.

Once i get setup i will be placing an order as my wife wants to try it.
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

HaHa! That's a good one!

I have a rare vision disorder called RECTOCULITIS. It's where my Optic Nerve receives intermittent signals from my rectum, which gives me a shi**y outlook on some things.

(Just happens now & then, so I've learned to deal with it) :lol:

;)
Bill
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

lol....i like that one. I will be using it at work tomorrow...
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

And...You are going to LOVE your DynaTorch & Hypertherm. Guaranteed! You made a great choice!

bw
Magic Rat
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Magic Rat »

Bill

What's the deal with international shipping? I know air freight won't happen but what about sea, lead time irrelevant as there is now comparative supplier in the uk.
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Magic Rat wrote:Bill

What's the deal with international shipping? I know air freight won't happen but what about sea, lead time irrelevant as there is now comparative supplier in the uk.
I do ship internationally, but in order to justify the costs of sea-freight, the product/s total has to be 2k or above. Unless you're splitting the order with someone else it just doesn't make any sense. No one, including me, would pay more for shipping that the value of the product. When you get above 2k in product, the $600-$800 shipping gets absorbed into the value of the product.

The shipping companies have minimums. Shipping to S. Africa next week. Less than 100# of products & packaging and the shipping was over $900.00. Could have been whatever weight fits into 3 cubic meters and still cost the same.

Customer still got a ton of value though. Patina Concentrates and Dyes in Dry Form made up a large portion of the order cost. Every situation is different.

I Can Not & Will Not send a 'starter kit' (for example) outside the continental United States by Air. The cost, risk & value just doesn't add up.

Have sent fairly large shipments to Australia, Tahiti, France, Germany, Switzerland and Africa. Nothing yet to the U.K.

I wish I had better news re: International Shipping.

thanks,

Bill
tigger_na
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tigger_na »

Magic Rat

I can only confirm what Bill said: International shipping, even by sea, is horribly expensive. When I got a quote from the local agents for importing a shipment they had added a "Dangerous Goods Fee" which exceeded the actual shipping fees! But Bill did everything possible to reduce the cost of shipping: From his patina concentrates (which reduce the weight and volume of the shipment), to powdered dyes (which removes the "flammable" from ""flammable material") to shopping around for a better shipping price. And, in the end, he added a discount to offset the shipping charges somewhat.

So yes, shipping is expensive, but I'd rather pay double for a first class product than experimenting and wasting time and material with alternatives. While I haven't actually tried his patinas or dyes, there are more than enough happy clients out there to leave me convinced that I made the best choice possible. My original question, "Are there any alternatives to Steel-FX", stems from the fact that I was unable to reach Bill and thus forced to try and find an alternative supplier, *not* because I was unhappy or in doubt with any of his products.

Best regards
Arthur

Return to “Patina Finishes”