Copper patina

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
HaasMetalDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Copper patina

Post by HaasMetalDesigns »

I got the steel fx copper patina when I put clear Powder coat it turn light green why did it do that?

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Copper patina

Post by Redneck »

My guess is that you baked it too long.......I use clear powder over patinas all the time, and if you give it a full bake, it darkens the color. Most of my patina pieces are 16 ga, so they get up to temp quickly......I put them in a hot oven....370 is where I cure my clear over patina, for only 7-10 minutes. Any longer and they will darken too much. I figure most of these pieces will be indoors anyway, so if it is a little undercured, it shouldn't be too big of a problem. If I know they are going outdoors, I cure them 10 or so minutes.

Good luck.
HaasMetalDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by HaasMetalDesigns »

It was cook at 375 for 10mins
comeoutswingin
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by comeoutswingin »

You cooked it too hot. I had this happen the first time I tried powdercoat clear. I get Amazing results from using columbia coatings super durable wet clear. I bake it for about 45 min at 250 degrees. I set the oven and walk away.

Now, is the powdercoat possibly under-cured? Maybe, but in this application you're not looking for extreme durability IMO.

5x10 LDR

Return to “Patina Finishes”