Steel F/X plating questions

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Steel F/X plating questions

Post by Metriccar »

I've been experimenting with Steel F/X and have a few questions.

I actually don't have a water hose where I work at so I've been dipping the metalpiece in a large bucket of water. Anyone ever try this?

I watched the example video on the Steel FX website and I'm not sure how the water comes into play. Should I be spraing Steel FX on wet or dry metal?

I noticed Steel FX actually has more effect on the metal the longer you leave it on there before you spray it off, rather than how much you spray on there (as if you're trying to saturate it), correct?

I've also noticed it appears to actually darken some after I have rinsend and dried it, is this correct?

I'm getting water marks. Any way to reduce this? It also seems I'm getting water lines from like when I pull the metal out of the pan, water runs down it and leaves water streaks.

If I have to I'll find a way to get a water hose in there.
Overall Steel F/X looks great but it will take a little practice to get it right.
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Steel F/X plating questions

Post by steelfx »

Metriccar wrote:I've been experimenting with Steel F/X and have a few questions.

Just to be clear, STEEL F/X is the name of my business. Each individual patina has it's own name, e.g. COPPER F/X, TORCH F/X, BRONZE F/X, etc.

I actually don't have a water hose where I work at so I've been dipping the metalpiece in a large bucket of water. Anyone ever try this?

Dipping in rinse water is fine for small pieces, especially when utilizing the COPPER F/X. It's important to keep the rinse water changed out to fresh after 3 or 4 dips, otherwise you run the risk of contaminants that may cause imperfections in the patina/s. Using a rinse tub doesn't even come close to the effectiveness of a garden hose with a spray head set on 'mist' or 'shower'. How close is your nearest hose-bib? The garden hose neutralization/rinsing has other uses too. For example, I often use the mist setting to shield an area of the steel from secondary or tertiary patina application. You need a hose. This is no time to re-invent the wheel.

I watched the example video on the Steel FX website and I'm not sure how the water comes into play. Should I be spraing Steel FX on wet or dry metal?

Your steel can be wet or dry. The effects will be slightly different, but either way works. I prefer the steel to be damp, especially when applying COPPER F/X. Capillary action helps the patina get where it needs to go a lot faster than if the steel were bone dry. You may prefer dry steel. As I mentioned, either way will work.

I noticed Steel FX actually has more effect on the metal the longer you leave it on there before you spray it off, rather than how much you spray on there (as if you're trying to saturate it), correct?

Depending on the actual patina used, duration of contact with the steel can result in darkening, which in most cases, is supposed to be that way. For example, RUST F/X has to be in contact with the steel, prior to neutralizing for several minutes or even hours, depending on air-temp, metal temp, etc. With a little experimentation, you will soon find out what the ideal duration is. The general guidelines for duration are printed on the label/s.

I've also noticed it appears to actually darken some after I have rinsend and dried it, is this correct?

I'd have to know exactly what patina or combination of patinas you are referring to in order to answer that with any degree of intelligence. In general though, the patina/s will not darken after rinsing & drying. All patinas will darken when wet or clear-coated.

I'm getting water marks. Any way to reduce this? It also seems I'm getting water lines from like when I pull the metal out of the pan, water runs down it and leaves water streaks.

Is your water extremely hard? TDS (total dissolved solids) in excess of 1,000ppm? Or, are you using well-water?
If the answer to either is "yes", then you may have no choice but you use a 2 or 3 gallon pressure-pump style weed sprayer, filled with Distilled Water.

If I have to I'll find a way to get a water hose in there.
Overall Steel F/X looks great but it will take a little practice to get it right.
Any art media takes a little practice, trial & error & most importantly: experimentation. In no time at all, you'll be getting the results you want. The patination of metals, especially ferrous metal is 1% Chemistry and 99% Talent

You will get out of the process exactly what you put into it. That's just the law of nature. STEEL F/X? Patinas are
extremely easy to master, but contain no magical properties.
;)

If you can email me photos of your results, I can easily guide you around any obstacles or problems that you may encounter.

Thanks!

Bill :)
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I do have hard water here in Arizona and I'm certain that's what's causing the water streaks. Getting a pressurized water sprayer will solve 2 of my problems. Has anyone ever bought a sprayer that worked well? I could give it a try.
Marty
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Marty »

Hi Metriccar

I understand the learning curve you are climbing with the application of Steel F/X patinas.....it feels steep but you will have an "ahaaaaah" moment one day, then you will be hooked! The need for quality and plentiful rinse water is critical, as you are sensing based on your remarks. An important part of a satisfactory application of patina is the ability to control the speed and depth of the patina's reaction with the metal.......this ability is a combo of a sense of timing and amount of water rinse....at the beginning and during the process.....the sense of timing is a learned thing, so practice, practice, practice....the water itself or course just has to be there in the right amount at the right time.....you might try a high capacity backpack water sprayer if as hose not available......as an example see this sprayer http://www.amazon.com/Chapin-61700N-Sur ... on+sprayer

just be sure the water you fill it with is quality as Bill mentioned earlier....maybe buy some 5 gallon jugs and have them filled at a filtered water store.....dunno know if you those in AZ.....it is not very expensive, we have 4 jugs filled for our home drinking water, and it costs about $3.00

Marty
Ignition Metal Art Design

Give a man a fish and you have taught him where to come for a fish; Teach him to use Google and the Search Engine on Plasma Spider and he will be able to learn more than you could ever teach him yourself
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

I use hard water with no problems...that I know of.

Allen

Return to “Patina Finishes”