Large piece SteelFX patinas

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Large piece SteelFX patinas

Post by dustywill »

Hey guys,
I have been contacted by a local architect for an oak tree to go on a large wall. 12'x16' I don't have final dimensions yet, but expect the piece to be larger than a single sheet. My guess is also that they will want a copperFX or BronzeFX finish. Any suggestions on how to get something this size done, dried and painted before flash rust? I'd also like a decent amount of consistency in the color. I have struggled with my larger pieces. I was going to contact Bill directly, but figured an answer here would document for all who wonder. Bill I'm sure you'll find me here anyway.

Thanks for any input,
Byron
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Large piece SteelFX patinas

Post by steelfx »

dustywill wrote:Hey guys,
I have been contacted by a local architect for an oak tree to go on a large wall. 12'x16' I don't have final dimensions yet, but expect the piece to be larger than a single sheet. My guess is also that they will want a copperFX or BronzeFX finish. Any suggestions on how to get something this size done, dried and painted before flash rust? I'd also like a decent amount of consistency in the color. I have struggled with my larger pieces. I was going to contact Bill directly, but figured an answer here would document for all who wonder. Bill I'm sure you'll find me here anyway.

Thanks for any input,
Byron
Hi Byron,

Shouldn't be too hard, as long as you do a little pre-planning and have 2 or 3 helpers.

I've recently buffered the COPPER F/X? to give it a little more working time. I've done some testing, w/o neutralizing for 45-60 secs., with no streaking or darkening at all.

Work in the shade if possible, place the piece horizontally, and have helpers locked & loaded with the patina in pump-type weed sprayers, set at the best "fog" pattern & pre-tested for functionality before applying to the steel. Two separate water sources with spray heads set on "shower", and be ready to neutralize within 30-60 seconds from COPPER F/X? application.

If the relative humidity is under 50%, you shouldn't get too much, if any flash-rust. Dry quickly w/ clean, dry, oil-free shop air.

I've been experimenting with a rust-inhibiting rinse, but the testing is tough where I live in the desert. (SW Utah)
I should send some to my customers in the south & southeast to test.

I can apply COPPER F/X?, neutralize, force-dry & let pieces sit for a month or two, without any flash-rusting, here in St. George. I know it's not that way in other parts of the U.S.

Alternately, you can do it in sections, only IF you use your "shower" setting as a water curtain to protect the area/s that have already been coppered. Any overlapping with the copper, and you're likely to get some peeling or discoloration. Not so much with the BRONZE F/X?.

Good Luck! I've done 60 sq. ft. by myself with no problems, but you're almost 4X that. Still, it's not impossible, it will just take a little forethought & planning.

thanks!
Bill
:D
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Large piece SteelFX patinas

Post by dustywill »

Thanks Bill. I often get rust before I can get small pieces dry. Committing to do something of this size scares me. I'll let you know in the next couple of weeks if I take the job and how it goes.

I'd be happy to test some of the rust inhibitor rinse if you do go that way.

Thanks
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks

Return to “Patina Finishes”