Copper Patina Durability

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Apocalypse Fabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Copper Patina Durability

Post by Apocalypse Fabrication »

I guess this question is mainly for Bill (steelfx), but I thought I would make a post so others can search for it later...

I have a client that wants a 77"x31"x1.5" copper bar top made. He would like it to have a patina on it as well. I discussed the fact that if he wants a copper patina... then we could save a lot of money using Bill's products on mild steel.

My questions is... in a bar top environment, how will the patinas hold up? scratches, water, etc... usual bar environment.

Thanks for any experienced replies!

Jason
Apocalypse Fabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Copper Patina Durability

steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

Any patina on steel is only as durable as the clear-coat that covers it. The patinas work by chemical reaction to the iron content of steel and are not a coating or paint. They contain no pigments. So, since the color change is measured in microns & becomes part of the steel surface, a high-quality clear-coat is the key to longevity, especially on a bar-top.

The word "patina" usually refers to a film of green or brownish tint that occurs over many, many years & gives the original substrate character & color. In effect, what we are doing as metal artisans, using steel, is colorizing, antiquing or otherwise giving the steel some coloration that does not hide the steel beneath.

Another way of looking at patinas for steel is: Controlled, chemical rusting. We're able to bring out colors that would not occur naturally. With the exception of RUST F/X & AUBURN F/X, which are either brown or red rust agents that do in a few hrs. what would take years to achieve if left to Mother Nature.

The finish in the photo (link) would not be hard to replicate, but again...the durability hinges on the quality of the clear-coat.

Bill
Apocalypse Fabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Do you think, just need an opinion, that bar top type of thick epoxy would be a good idea? I'm thinking about the flood type resin that makes a very thick, durable coat. I just don't know if it would react with the steel and "coloring" chemicals.

Thanks for the quick reply Bill!
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Apocalypse Fabrication wrote:Do you think, just need an opinion, that bar top type of thick epoxy would be a good idea? I'm thinking about the flood type resin that makes a very thick, durable coat. I just don't know if it would react with the steel and "coloring" chemicals.

Thanks for the quick reply Bill!
You're welcome!

I've only used the 'bar-top' epoxy on stained wood, have never tried it on patinated steel. It does get warm as it cures, but not warm enough to hurt anything, and it's not water-based (i don't think), so it shouldn't be a problem.

It would definitely be a thicker finish than the other clear-coat options. We've all been to places that have their bars and or table-tops done that way & some of the ones I've seen were pretty scratched & beat up.

thanks,

Bill :)
Apocalypse Fabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Ok Bill... thanks for the opinions. I definitely weight yours very highly. This is a backyard bar top, so I do not think the traffic will be as heavy as a commercial bar, but I want to provide the nicest, longest lasting product I can.

I will continue to speak with the client to see which route he'd like. The nice aspect of the copper imo is that if it does get scratched it will only show more copper, BUT it's also super malleable, so I would think it would dent easily with the impacts.

Anyone have any opinions on copper countertops? I know they are becoming quite the rage now, but I have no idea what the durability looks like. I can only find reviews on fresh installs.

Jason
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Jason,

check out: http://www.copper.org/applications/arch ... intro.html

Copper (Cu) comes in several different alloys, as far as hardness & so forth.

bw
Apocalypse Fabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thanks Bill...

Even Full Hard copper comes short of A36 in both Yield and Tensile.
Apocalypse Fabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

I keep thinking... "well if you want the industrial look... let's slap a sheet of 3/4" AR400 on there and call it bulletproof!"

:lol:

(it'd be close to the same cost)
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

patina it, clear coat it, then cover it with a clear piece of lexan, or tempered glass. classy look and durability just a quick thought
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

bhamer62 wrote:patina it, clear coat it, then cover it with a clear piece of lexan, or tempered glass. classy look and durability just a quick thought

That's a very good idea! :)

bw
Apocalypse Fabrication
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Yeah.. awesome idea!

I've since passed on this job. I suggested they hire a carpenter and get the products from colorcopper.com. I hate working with wood and really the only metal work was going to be gluing the copper down.

Return to “Patina Finishes”