Raw Aluminum Sign

Learn and share patina finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Raw Aluminum Sign

Post by rbmgf7 »

Anyone have any experience with raw aluminum finish?

I'm making an outdoor sign and it'll be plasma cut 3003. In the past I've wet sanded to about 800 grit and coated with clear but was wondering how raw sanded aluminum will fair over time in the elements? I know it essentially oxidizes/rusts. The sign has a bit of an industrial/rustic vibe so I'm kinda leaning toward leaving it uncoated.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Raw Aluminum Sign

Post by plasmanewbie »

I think the raw aluminum will water stain and oxidize over time and likley won't produce the rustic vibe your looking for.
tinspark
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Raw Aluminum Sign

Post by tinspark »

I have had some old 3/16" aluminum out back in my bone yard which I stripped off of an old utility trailer bed. It has been exposed to the elements for about 15, or maybe even 20 years. I recently repurposed it for some sign work that I have been doing. It was pitted, and the patina is essentially a dull white color. As far as aesthetics, I didn't think that it was too appealing. I ground the pits out of the exposed side and grained it, and added a grinder swirl in other parts of it after it was plas cut on my CNC machine, and it looked good for what I was using it for..
Regards,
DM
Doug,
4x4 GoTorch- expanded
Height Control/Advanced DesignEdge
Hypertherm 45XP-
Logan Lathe + myriads of other shop toys
**CAUTION**- "Does Not Play Well With Others" :)

Return to “Patina Finishes”