Inkscape Union Difficulties

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Rickzink
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Inkscape Union Difficulties

Post by Rickzink »

Hey everyone.....Having some issues with Inkscape.

Long story short - I have everything ungrouped. Path to stroke blah blah blah, when i go to Union everything a portion of the drawing disappears. I have attached a word document with screen shots of what is going on. The first screen shot is showing everything ungrouped and ready to for stroke to path. The second is after the stroke to path and the third is after I have unioned. Immediately after I union, the lower portion of the drawing disappears.

Please help. This is a very good client of ours with our HVAC business and is wanting us to make some of these signs for their country club. We want to make him happy.
Inkscape Union issue.docx
(520.9 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape Union Difficulties

Post by acourtjester »

the sequence may be not in order, you should have them combined and stroke to path the break apart. Not sure I understand how the drawing is to be as the top does not match the middle drawing. in the top you have overlapping arcs and the outer circle. In the middle you have 2 circles and 2 arcs, the arcs overlap. I think there needs to be some node work to combine and remove some of the overlapping. Do you have a original image you are trying to copy or what the finished product should look like??
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Maybe you can separate the 4 sections so they are not connected and post the SVG file and what you want it to look like. I will than make and post a video tutorial with audio To help you in the future.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rickzink wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:09 pm Hey everyone.....Having some issues with Inkscape.

Long story short - I have everything ungrouped. Path to stroke blah blah blah, when i go to Union everything a portion of the drawing disappears. I have attached a word document with screen shots of what is going on. The first screen shot is showing everything ungrouped and ready to for stroke to path. The second is after the stroke to path and the third is after I have unioned. Immediately after I union, the lower portion of the drawing disappears.

Please help. This is a very good client of ours with our HVAC business and is wanting us to make some of these signs for their country club. We want to make him happy.
It would be best if you would post your actual svg so we can have a look. I couldn't really tell much from your screen shots.
Thanks,
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

open paths 1.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

See if this one will work for you.
David
sv.jpg
sv.svg
(56.43 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

By the way, I'm not sure why you were wanting to use "Union". Union and Combine do two different things.
Path tools 1.jpg
Path tools.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is how I would do it.
David
sv 1.jpg
sv 2.jpg
sv 3.jpg
sv 4.jpg
sv 5.jpg
sv 6.jpg
sv 7.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:50 pm the sequence may be not in order, you should have them combined and stroke to path the break apart. Not sure I understand how the drawing is to be as the top does not match the middle drawing. in the top you have overlapping arcs and the outer circle. In the middle you have 2 circles and 2 arcs, the arcs overlap. I think there needs to be some node work to combine and remove some of the overlapping. Do you have a original image you are trying to copy or what the finished product should look like??
Tom - I just realized that perhaps those arcs are intended as part of the design. Yes - I agree it would be nice to see the original image.
David
sv with curves 1.jpg
sv with curves 2.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Rickzink wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:09 pm Hey everyone.....Having some issues with Inkscape.

Rickzink, please disregard my previous explanation. I originally thought that those curves were an unintended consequence of one of your operations. Now thanks to Tom, I realize that the are most likely intended as part of the design. But I am baffled as to what your intended result would look like. We will need to see a photo of the original artwork you are attempting to replicate with your Inkscape drawing.
David
Rickzink
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Rickzink »

Thanks to all for the input. I really appreciate the assistance. Please see attached file of what the end product needs to look like. Overall, It is a very simple design and should be a simple cut but for some reason the inkscape file is just giving me fits.

The file is attached. Thanks again for the assistance and guidance.

I attached both SVG and PDF.
SV Logo Outline-Black.pdf
(94.49 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
SV Logo Outline-Black.svg
(82.3 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

There were some lines missing on your original screen shot. See if this will work.
David
sv 4.jpg
sv 3.svg
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have made a video and it transfering to the Google drive and I will attach it here later, it needs to clear the Google drive.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ROKCRLER »

The SVG you posted had some funny stuff going on..
First ungrouped all the parts, the two swoops i broke the half circle and swoop to just the swoop and then stroke to path.
Did that for both.
AS1.JPG
AS1.JPG (32.47 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Placed the swoops that are not paths in the circle and unioned (ctrl ++)
Combined the A and S and unioned the circle with swoops to the letters.
AS2.JPG
AS2.JPG (36.55 KiB) Viewed 989 times
See if that makes sense..
Attachments
SV Logo Outline-Black_Fixed.svg
(86.34 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Here is the easy way to do it. Just auto trace your original pdf and save as svg.
David
sv final 1.jpg
sv final 2.jpg
sv final 3.jpg
sv final 4.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

disassembled.jpg
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:21 am The SVG you posted had some funny stuff going on..
First ungrouped all the parts, the two swoops i broke the half circle and swoop to just the swoop and then stroke to path.
Did that for both.
AS1.JPG
Placed the swoops that are not paths in the circle and unioned (ctrl ++)
Combined the A and S and unioned the circle with swoops to the letters.
AS2.JPG

See if that makes sense..
Nice job!! You are way ahead of me with your Inkscape skill set. Thanks for helping out.
David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

I have zero skills sir..... but i did stay at a holliday inn the other day... :HaHa

Ive logged several hundred hours on youtube learning...BadDog, and Logos by Nick are the two i frequent the most.
Im terrible with screenshots and text as it takes so long, now that i have recording software i might do those to show... but still no audio... i hate speaking...Tom... im working on captions sir.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Don't sell yourself short. I have maybe several hours watching those videos. You and Tom have great skills here. I will take notes and try to learn from you both.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here is the video I made when you do it then save it (DXF of SVG)for planning in SheetCam of other software for the cutting.
As shown by other members it can be done differently too. I'm just an old fat dude with a shaky voice :Yay You guys have to suffer through them :HaHa
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Rickzink
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Rickzink »

All, thanks for the input. Rokcrler's file is the one I used and it cut perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Later this evening, after I finish some other work, I am going to come back in and play with it to see if I can reproduce the results. Just want to make sure I learn about this.

acourtjester, I watched the video. I am also going to try your method as well.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance!!!
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

Rick, im glad it cut good.. I'll get a video of the method i used tonight.
Theres always several ways to skin the Inkscape cat for sure... Tom, you method was what i was going with at first, then noticed the different objects and splitting the swoops seemed the easiest for me.
And i just realized its SV not AS... oops...i initially thought the image was inverted :HaHa
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

ROKCRLER wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:15 pm Rick, im glad it cut good.. I'll get a video of the method i used tonight.
Theres always several ways to skin the Inkscape cat for sure... Tom, you method was what i was going with at first, then noticed the different objects and splitting the swoops seemed the easiest for me.
And i just realized its SV not AS... oops...i initially thought the image was inverted :HaHa
I will look forward to checking out your detailed video. I was not able to figure out what exactly you did from your description above.
Thanks,
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:10 pm here is the video I made when you do it then save it (DXF of SVG)for planning in SheetCam of other software for the cutting.
As shown by other members it can be done differently too. I'm just an old fat dude with a shaky voice :Yay You guys have to suffer through them :HaHa
Tom- thanks for posting this video. I haven't had a chance to study it in detail yet, but I am looking forward to learning your method. Rokcrler has a different method, which I hope to learn as well once he posts his video.
David
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

See if this makes sense.

I dont recall exactly what i did yesterday, but today i noticed a bunch of groupings, so you'll see me fumbling around to ungroup some... such is life.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~

Return to “Inkscape”