Manual Trace of Logo using Inkscape - a few tips

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Manual Trace of Logo using Inkscape - a few tips

Post by adbuch »

This is in response to an inquiry for a Pure Gas logo sign. I thought I would re-post this information here to make it easier for fellow Inkscape users to find. The original thread is here.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34090

I looked at this a bit more, and I think that a simple manual trace using Inkscape is easier than trying to use the array tool - at least for me using Design Edge. In Inkscape, it is a simple matter to use the Draw lines tool to trace over the jagged circles and letters, and then draw a circle centered on the image to "trace" the outer circle. You can toggle from View, Display Mode, Normal to View, Display Mode Outline to effectively turn the jpeg image view on or off so the trace results progress can be seen more clearly. When tracing the letters, just draw a 45 degree line from the end of each corner radius while tracing, and then use the Node Edit mode to drag the center node of the "chamfer" to create a curve that matches the jpeg image.

For this method, the trace can only be as good as the actual image. In this particular case, the image appears to be a photo of an actual sign and there is some parallax such that the entire image is not really symmetrical. But I think that even with this, this one would be sufficient for plasma cutting and achieve a nice acceptable result.

Let me know if you have any questions about this method or need help with your own particular file that you are attempting to manually trace.

David

This is the original image.
pure 2.jpg
pure 2.jpg (82.2 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Inkscape manual trace of Pure logo.jpg
Inkscape manual trace of Pure logo 1.jpg
Inkscape manual trace of Pure logo 2.jpg
Inkscape manual trace of Pure logo 3.jpg
Inkscape manual trace of Pure logo 4.jpg
Inkscape manual trace of Pure logo 5.jpg
Inkscape manual trace of Pure logo 6.jpg
pure 2 inkscape manual trace.svg
(131.5 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
acourtjester

Re: Manual Trace of Logo using Inkscape - a few tips

Post by acourtjester »

:Like :Like :Like :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Re: Manual Trace of Logo using Inkscape - a few tips

Post by adbuch »

Thanks Tom! I thought that maybe this would be useful for some of the new Inkscape users. I know you have many Inkscape videos showing various techniques for drawing and editing. I have seen many of them and they are much appreciated. Keep up the great work!
David

Return to “Inkscape”