How to Auto Trace a photo using Inkscape to get DXF

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

How to Auto Trace a photo using Inkscape to get DXF

Post by adbuch »

Another member needed some help converting a photo to a dxf for cutting. I explained the method I use, and thought I would post a link here to make if easier to find for those needing help with Inkscape. You can click on the link to read the entire post.
David

viewtopic.php?f=6&p=204049#p204049
Inkscape 1.jpg
Inkscape 2.jpg
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: How to Auto Trace a photo using Inkscape to get DXF

Post by plasmanewbie »

Saw your tutorial over there David, great info for Inkscape users and much of it can be applied to other design programs also. Thanks :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

plasmanewbie wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:11 pm Saw your tutorial over there David, great info for Inkscape users and much of it can be applied to other design programs also. Thanks :Like
I agree! The auto-tracing portion could be accomplished with Corel Draw, LightBurn, VinlyMaster, Design Edge, ProtoMax, VCarve Pro, and some others as well depending on what programs are available to the person doing the tracing. Inkscape is really good at auto tracing, and is Free - so this would probably be one that many would consider.
David
Wehall
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wehall »

This really helped me a ton. I was struggling with excessive nodes after the trace. Paint.net is a program not a website any case any one didn't know like me. I don't have that program. But I did use cntl L in inkscape and it clears up a lot of the unwanted nodes. The rest just follow his tips. I had a little more cleanup to do in bobcad but it was done in less than 5 min and worked like it should. David is a great asset to this forum.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a video I developed for another member showing node manipulation, simple video for cleaning up images.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Wehall wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:16 am This really helped me a ton. I was struggling with excessive nodes after the trace. Paint.net is a program not a website any case any one didn't know like me. I don't have that program. But I did use cntl L in inkscape and it clears up a lot of the unwanted nodes. The rest just follow his tips. I had a little more cleanup to do in bobcad but it was done in less than 5 min and worked like it should. David is a great asset to this forum.
Thanks! I'm glad I was able to help. Let us see your project when you finish it with some photos.
David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:39 am Here is a video I developed for another member showing node manipulation, simple video for cleaning up images.
Tom - that's a great video on node editing! Thanks for sharing it with us. The more we can learn, the better it will be for our new projects.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thank you Sir, I find when a question is posed sometime it causes me to dig a little deeper to be sure my answer is clear (I learn more :Like :Yay ).
Singularly we do not know it all but collectively there is great knowledge, the membership of PS shows that daily.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Tom - I very much agree. I have learned much about Inkscape and several other programs simply by studying them in an effort to answer questions posed by other members.
David

Return to “Inkscape”