Multipe holes in a circle cover for a drain/grate

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Multipe holes in a circle cover for a drain/grate

Post by TJS »

I have been asked to make some sort of drainage grate that has specific size holes. They need to be in some sort of spacing pattern. Like .187" holes that have lets say .750" center to center spacing. I have searched YT and all they have is stuff they pull from the internet do a trace and drop the pattern in a heart or words. I just want to be able to draw the outline of the manhole grate and multiple holes in the manhole cover. Can someone explain how to do it. Please don't create the file for me. I want to be able to do this. This reminds me in sheetcam for nesting where you tell it the spacing and such.
jmersereau
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Multipe holes in a circle cover for a drain/grate

Post by jmersereau »

I know you are in the Inkscape forum but... if you are able to use LightBurn they have two possible features that can either create a grid or create a circular layout. The circular layout requires a bit more trial and error for layout and you could create multiple circular rings.
Grid1.JPG
Grid2.JPG
You could create a field of drain holes larger than needed and then delete the "extras"
Grid3.JPG
Grid4.JPG
Jim
PrimeWeld CUT60
Langmuir CrossFire Pro
LightBurn, SheetCAM, FireControl
YESWELDER Digital MIG-205DS MIG
Blackslacks
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Blackslacks »

one way to do it - turn on your grid and set it up the grid spacing in Documents and setting. Snap your holes to the grid
TJS

Post by TJS »

Thanks for the ideas and help. After going back and forth with requirements the customer decided to go with slots instead of holes. 24" diameter 1/4" plate. The slots had to be a specified width. I did a test slot on some scrap and was spot on.
draingrate.jpg
draingrate.jpg (66.03 KiB) Viewed 370 times

Return to “Inkscape”