New fonts

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
MS76
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

New fonts

Post by MS76 »

I recently got a new computer and have installed some fonts on it but they aren't showing up in inkscape. It is windows 10 and my previous laptop ran the same system and I didn't have this problem. Any help would be appreciated, thank you
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: New fonts

Post by acourtjester »

If you still have the old fonts you can copy them to the new system, they are under windows/fonts. Now realize when you look at fonts in windows then in Inkscape they may have the same name but look similar. I think it is the file structure difference between windows and Inkscape.
The windows font folder is where you could store any new fonts you download from the web, not all fonts will show in Inkscape too. :o
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
MS76
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MS76 »

Thanks for the response. I dont have the old fonts, the computer crashed. But, I remember a few I had before and downloaded some new ones too. They are in the windows/fonts folder but it seems like something is blocking it from going into inkscape, I cant even drag them in or copy and paste them. The computer is a dell laptop by the way.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

right click on them and choose install
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
MS76
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MS76 »

Thanks Gamelord, I've done that, they are installed in windows just wont show up on inkscape. Still working on a solution
MS76
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by MS76 »

I still haven't solved the font issue I'm having. I have read that others are experiancing this problem and some have said that the latest update of windows could be the culprit. I may look into trying to install an older version. I was wondering if other windows 10 users have tried adding new fonts to inkscape since the latest upgrade and if they are seeing this problem now even if it had worked before?
TrademarkMetalworx
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TrademarkMetalworx »

A little late to the game and not sure if you got this working yet but I ran into this issue last night. Even though my user account has admin rights, I still had to login as Administrator and "Install for all users" in order for the fonts that I downloaded to show up in Inkscape.

In order to login I had to first enable the Administrator account on my Windows 10 machine.

To do so you need to run the command prompt (cmd) as administrator and then type in "net user administrator /active:yes" without the quotations.

You can then sign out of your account and into the Admin account. Navigate to where you have the font downloaded and you then have the option to install for all users.

I opted to then go back into the command prompt and disabled the admin account using the following: "net user administrator /active:no". You don't have to do this but that account doesn't have a password which may leave your computer vulnerable.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Inkscape”