Issue with union

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
raleyja
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Issue with union

Post by raleyja »

Hello All

This is my first post, I have been lurking around trying to learn as much as possible. I am very new to inkscape, so please bare with me. Attached is a file that I am trying to put together. I created the split monogram in inkscape and imported the Maltese cross from a DXF from this website which I modified to fit my needs. My issue is I can not get the two objects to union so I can cut this out on my new table. Any help would be great.
Attachments
Maltese Monogram Test.svg
(31.33 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Issue with union

Post by Old Iron »

Try this see if this is what you want.
There were double lines at both ends of the horizontal bars holding the name Cooper that I had to remove
Attachments
Maltese Monogram Test.svg
(44.95 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
raleyja
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by raleyja »

Thanks Old Iron that is exactly what I was looking for, but I do not understand the double lines. I opened the original file up and tried to delete the line at the end of the horizontal bars and it made the bars round and skewed. What am I missing?
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Click on the image, Cooper, select Nodes Click on the segment to be removed then click on Delete Segment.
Hint: When selecting Nodes, the correct corresponding nodes, that are on each end of the segment to be deleted, will show the same color.
Google "how to remove segment between nodes in Inkscape"
Attachments
Inkscape Nodes.JPG
Inkscape Nodes.JPG (31.95 KiB) Viewed 882 times
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I am not sure how Old iron did it but I have had problems using union when you try to connect parts inside of an item. I have had to use the node tool to make connections but sometime that distorts the original drawing.
One thing I did see when looking are the original drawing is the stroke size is very large .472" :shock:
stroke.JPG
stroke2.JPG
stroke2.JPG (58.78 KiB) Viewed 881 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
raleyja
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by raleyja »

Old iron, I am sorry but I still can not figure out what you did. I can join a box on the end of the horizontal bars with zero issues, but when I try and add it to the Maltese cross the image gets all out of whack. I removed the segments on the ends, grab the nodes and move to the circle on all four ends and then try union, but still have zero luck. This does not seem like it should be this hard!!
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Everything you done so far is correct.
There are a lot of double stacked nodes in your file.
For instance, after removing the segment at the end of the bar to the top right of the name Cooper, click on the node that is on the top line and delete it.
Before deleting, if you drag that same node to the left, you'll see another node that was hidden under the node that you can see. That's why you cant connect that line to the inner circle which, has to happen before you can make it one file.
I left mouse click and scroll over the file to select all of it then go to Object and click on the Group selection to get it all together.
Then one more time click on Fill, click the X button, click on Stroke click on the solid button then click on stroke and it will set all the file to the same size line width and color.
Attachments
Maltese Monogram Test.JPG
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I then Save As a DXF file and open it in my cad program to finish editing it because, I don't know Inkscape well enough to do it all there :roll: :lol:
Attachments
Maltese Monogram.JPG
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here is what Old Iron is talking about, the smaller node is actually more then one node. Maybe this will help
node 4.JPG
node 4.JPG (59.05 KiB) Viewed 858 times
1111.JPG
1111.JPG (41.31 KiB) Viewed 858 times
1112.JPG
1112.JPG (38.12 KiB) Viewed 858 times
1113.JPG
1113.JPG (45.49 KiB) Viewed 858 times
1114.JPG
1114.JPG (71.09 KiB) Viewed 858 times
1115.JPG
1115.JPG (63.57 KiB) Viewed 858 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Thanks Tom 8-)
raleyja
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by raleyja »

Thanks everyone, I think I finally understand. I removed nodes and line segments to open the cooper image up, than removed added nodes and removed segments where I wanted the images to connected. Once the two images nodes were snapped back together I than highlighted everything and hit combine. The image looks right. Thanks for all the help!!

Return to “Inkscape”