Making a Backer/backplate

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Making a Backer/backplate

Post by TrinityFabworks »

Some pieces that I make require making a backer or back plate to attach them to. I really like doing this because I think that it looks more professionally done, rather than looking like I hacked away at something in my garage in my free time. My question is that often it is very time consuming to do a manual trace of the outline of whatever I am making. I also try copying just the external lines, and increasing their scale, but it doesn't really work well doing that, (It often gets distorted in the vertical direction). Just wondering how all of you that use inkscape draw your backers if there is a faster/more efficient way, or am I doing it the only was possible?
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Making a Backer/backplate

Post by motoguy »

I don't use Inkscape, but Coreldraw. I use the Offset command, and it takes seconds to create a backer. I'm sure Inkscape has a similar function.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Yep, same in Autocad. Offset distance you want backer larger than your piece select outside polyline, select outside object and boom, done.
Acourtjester is the guy to contact.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

In Inkscape you can highlight the outline of the object and the under the math menu there is "dynamic offset". First click on outline and then under edit click on duplicate which create another outline ( you will not see it) now go to path and click on dynamic offset this will attach a single node at the top of the outline with your mouse click on the node and move it up. This will take the duplicate outline and increase its size, stop when you get what you want. you can separate the outline so you can cut it separately.
here is a completely different way to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFROzJCpV6c
offset 2.jpg
offset 2.jpg (49.99 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by TrinityFabworks »

I'm getting a TON of random scribble marks that don't make any shape at all. Any ideas?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

How was the original drawing made, some drawing are many short line and are hard to manipulate. Something that helps is when you highlight a drawing you only see the outside showing. attached images so how to obtain a larger background, then delete the inside parts to have the outline to cut by itself when saving as a SVG of DFX file. The video from above you can do it with an actual value for the oversizing of the background. ;)
outline.jpg
outline.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
outline 2.jpg
outline 2.jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
outline 3.jpg
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
mitchw123456
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mitchw123456 »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 pm In Inkscape you can highlight the outline of the object and the under the math menu there is "dynamic offset". First click on outline and then under edit click on duplicate which create another outline ( you will not see it) now go to path and click on dynamic offset this will attach a single node at the top of the outline with your mouse click on the node and move it up. This will take the duplicate outline and increase its size, stop when you get what you want. you can separate the outline so you can cut it separately.
here is a completely different way to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFROzJCpV6c

offset 2.jpg

I'm having the same issue when I try to do this. I get funky shapes that in no way shape or form match what was combined and highlighted in the square. I didn't really understand your other reply for a fix to this but i think you were just saying highlight the complete object where it has the "big" square around it.

The other way shown in the youtube video really didn't work for me either as I just need to inset the object so that i can make a cut line of the same object to drop out and hold the outer shape. Any more insight on this? I'm running out of hair to pull out and getting close to resulting to cold beer!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Ok if I understand you want to cut a duplicate of the outer shape of your object. If that is what you want you first need to break apart the original drawing so that the outside shape can be selected and not be attached to the inside parts. To test this click on the outside shape you will see a box shape which touches the outside shape at 4 places,(top, bottom, and both sides). Now see if it will move without moving the inside parts, just so you know it is only the outside shape, you don't need to move it far. Now under edit and click on "undo" this will reposition the outside shape to its original position. With it highlighted (box around it as above) under edit again click on "duplicate" this will copy the original outside shape so you can move (copied shape highlighted) it so it can be cut separately. This will leave your original drawing as it was, you may need to combine the inside and outside if you want to cut it together.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Mitch here is a tutorial video for Inkscape showing how to do inset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkIMMTfwaY
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
mitchw123456
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mitchw123456 »

acourtjester wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:02 pm Mitch here is a tutorial video for Inkscape showing how to do inset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkIMMTfwaY

Yep I’m an idiot had a double line in a couple places that made my circles 🤬
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Not so keeping after a problem and finding the answer on your own is a positive thing :)
You have learned to look at what you do closer, the old saying the best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm :lol:
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “Inkscape”