Inkscape Text to Path question

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Inkscape Text to Path question

Post by Jfile »

I have a question regarding putting text on a path. The only way that I know to make text curve in a piece is to draw a curved line and then use the, Text, Put on Path command. At least in InkScape that is the way that I figured out. However, I haven't actually cut the piece yet. Of course I don't want the curved line cut into the piece but if I delete it, my text goes back in a straight line.

So, I have put the curved line in a layer of it's own. When I set up the operations to cut the piece in SheetCam , if I create an operation for all layers EXCEPT for that layer with the line, will I get the correct results? Will my curved text cut properly without the line underneath it?

Or, is there a better (easier) way to create curved text in a piece? For right now, I only have InkScape and SheetCam to work with.

Thanks in advance for the help!
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
harrymorley
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Inkscape Text to Path question

Post by harrymorley »

there is a software discussion forum that would most likely generate an answer to your question. probably get you a quicker reply
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Text to Path question

Post by acourtjester »

One thing you can do is after you have created the test on the circle as a path you can select the circle and then go to "fill and stroke" and remove the stroke. This will leave you with the text only, but the circle is still there but can be removed in SheetCam by making a new layer and unchecking that layer. I'm sure there is another way and I will look for it and post that then. :lol:
text.JPG
text 2.JPG
text 4.JPG
text 5.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here are others, there are many areas of interest that use Inkscape. I have downloaded many tutorials from many different sources showing different techniques that I used to help learn different uses for drawing with Inkscape :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWigtCHed9k
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
xring
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by xring »

Jfile wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:10 pm I have a question regarding putting text on a path. The only way that I know to make text curve in a piece is to draw a curved line and then use the, Text, Put on Path command. At least in InkScape that is the way that I figured out. However, I haven't actually cut the piece yet. Of course I don't want the curved line cut into the piece but if I delete it, my text goes back in a straight line.

So, I have put the curved line in a layer of it's own. When I set up the operations to cut the piece in SheetCam , if I create an operation for all layers EXCEPT for that layer with the line, will I get the correct results? Will my curved text cut properly without the line underneath it?

Or, is there a better (easier) way to create curved text in a piece? For right now, I only have InkScape and SheetCam to work with.

Thanks in advance for the help!
After putting text on the curved path, select the text, and go to Path>Object to Path. Now the text is a path and it loses its association with the curve, which you can delete.

Also, you can then select the text, go to Object>Ungroup, and the letters will be separate, so you can individually move and rotate them.

Good luck,
Bill

Return to “Inkscape”