Line width - Which way is correct?

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Line width - Which way is correct?

Post by Jfile »

I'm stuck. lol

Okay, I want to create a circle with a rectangle as shown in the picture. Let's say I want the circle band to be about 2 inches wide and I want the rectangle lines to be about 1/2 inch thick. So for the circle, do I create 2 circles one smaller than the other and center them together to accomplish the 2 inch wide rim or do I create one circle and set the stroke at 2 inches? I suppose whatever is the correct way to do the circle will also tell me how to do the rectangle.

Actually I've experimented doing it both ways and neither way am I able to get the rectangle to "union" (or weld) to the circle as it is in the picture but before I stress too much over that I wanted to make sure that I'm doing creating the circle and rectangle properly to begin with.
circle with rectangle.JPG
circle with rectangle.JPG (16.88 KiB) Viewed 564 times
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
liv2speed05
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Which way is correct?

Post by liv2speed05 »

I do 2 circles. I'm not sure what software you are using, but I use inkscape. And as far as the rectangle and square welding, in inkscape I would create the rectangle, duplicate it, make the one you want to "weld", just a hair bigger than the other rectangle, which you will use to difference wherever you want it on the circle. Then have the bigger rectangle overlap the circle just a hair, and union.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Which way is correct?

Post by Gamelord »

I use Corel, draw one circle the size of the outside diameter, then use the contour tool to get the inside one. Then break the contour apart so I have two circles stacked, then trim the inside circle out of the outside one. Then draw the rectangle, select the circle and rectangle, combine them so they are on the same level, then weld the rectangle to the circle. Then put your name/numbers inside the rectangle and trim them out as needed.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Line width - Which way is correct?

Post by Jfile »

Thank you both for the help. That worked! I think I'm all set now.

I don't know why I had so much trouble. Sometimes when I try to "weld" or in InkScape it's referred to as Union, it works great. Then other times I get all sorts of weird results. I was able to use Difference this time and get the right results. I just have to read up and figure out when to use each one. lol
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam

Return to “Inkscape”