Issues with some DXF files in InkScape

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Issues with some DXF files in InkScape

Post by Jfile »

Does anyone else have problems sometimes opening DXF files from the forum in InkScape? I'm using InkScape version 0.92. Sometimes I can't open them at all and other times the images are distorted. Circles will have flat bottoms or other curves and arcs will have straight edges. Just curious if it's something that I'm doing or the version of InkScape or what. I can always open SVG files with no problem but most folks upload DXF.

For example, Robinhillmachine posted the really nice Nightmare Before Christmas piece. Fortunately she posted both the DXF and the SVG because the DXF is distorted when I open it but the SVG looks perfect. This happens on about 75% of the DXF files that I try to download.

I will say, I wonder if it's InkScape. I have a simple CAD program that came with my table, called QCAD. I don't like it. To me it's difficult to use. Could be because I've gotten used to InkScape but anyway, for the DXF files that won't open in InkScape, I can almost always open them in QCAD. Weird. :?
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
perry365
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Issues with some DXF files in InkScape

Post by perry365 »

Hi, I just open them with qcad and do a SVG export and then open them with Inkscape as I am much better with it. I think the problem is that Inkscape doesn't like dxf's created by some software. Apparently not all dxf's are the same even though they have the same file extension. Even qcad doesn't always work for me.
Hopefully someone else can explain it better for both of us.
Cheers
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I do like perry365 does and have seen the same results, about 85% successful. The problem is with the format of the DXF file, there seems to be many versions, some are marked with years in their names. It would be nice if there was a standard like PDF or TXT files with a more across the board acceptance, but we must live with what we have. :(
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

The .dxf is an Autocad format, and seems to change every-time there is a new Autocad version released.
Just yesterday I was experimenting with files for my wife's new CNC longarm quilting machine. I exported a file from CorelDraw as Autocad2013 .dxf format, and her software would not import it, complaining about "splines" in the file. I tried a few other Autocad formats and found that AutocadR9 would import to her program. CorelDraw has at least a dozen different Autocad formats that it can export in.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Thanks guys. So, it sounds almost like the issue is not necessarily just with InkScape. I was contemplating whether I should switch to CorelDraw, QCAD or some other drawing program if it would help. I don't mind having to learn a new application if it will solve the problem but I'm just now starting to get comfortable with InkScape. lol
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I would stay with Inkscape it is a very powerful program I have used it to do some very interesting things. There is a lot of info posted here and a great number of tutorial type videos on Youtube. Don't restrict yourself to plasma cutting topics as other topics help you to learn other function of the program.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Another important consideration is that CorelDraw (and Illustrator) export DXF for "prinitng" meaning they do not export Arcs, curves and circles. It all hundreds of tiny line segments. DXF is often the least friendly format to use. A much better documented and open file format is either EPS or SVG. both of those will maintain all of the arcs and polyarcs and complex Bezier curves that are native to both CorelDraw and most Postscript programs. Inkscape operates natively in SVG and imports a lot of vector and bitmap file formats. BTW it also will import CDR files (up to rev14) from Coreldraw directly and CorelDraw exports several versions of SVG. SheetCAM will directly import SVG files including all of the curves and circles intact. In the sign industry and others like embroidery DXF not a supported format.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

tcaudle,

I agree. DXF is the least friendly format. I never have problems with SVG but, (no offense to anyone on the forum) it seems like 90% of the folks post their files in DXF. It would be great if most everyone could either transition to SVG or at least post their work in both formats. I love RobinHillMachine's work. It's detailed and the great thing is, if you buy a design from her you get it in multiple formats. :)
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

The .dxf is an Autocad format, and seems to change every-time there is a new Autocad version released.
That is a true statement. I use Autocad exclusively because it is what I am familiar with. I always export in DXF Autocad 2000/LT2000 and have never had an issue.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com

Return to “Inkscape”