Help please... :)

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Help please... :)

Post by Jfile »

I downloaded the scroll that you add the letters "Est", the date and the last name to. For some reason, I cannot get the letters to "union" to the surrounded box that they go in. I'm following the same steps that I have on previous drawings (or at least I think I am) but I can't get it to work. If someone could please help me understand what I'm not doing right because I also need to still do the date and add the last name at the top of the piece.

One thing that I did notice is that there are a ton of nodes and even when I use the simplify command, it does not reduce down. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. I have added the letters "Est" and they obviously have way fewer nodes than the other lines in the drawing. I also have the original Dxf but I couldn't get it to do anything so I converted it to SVG and then brought it in to Inkscape and that's where I'm at now.

I committed to have this piece done in a week so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff
Attachments
Family - EST - Date.svg
(333.03 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Last edited by Jfile on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Help please... :)

Post by Jfile »

Adding the SVG again. In the first copy I didn't have all of the drawing visible.

Thanks again for any assistance!

Jeff
Attachments
Family - EST - Date.svg
(333.03 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
WyoGreen
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by WyoGreen »

If we knew what graphics program you are using it might help figure out what's going on.
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

I downloaded the original dxf from here on the forum. I'm currently trying to add the text in Inkscape.
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Just opened your file and the only thing in it is EST. Hard to tell what's going on with just the letters. Try to load the complete file and I'm sure some of us will be able to help you.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Thanks Rick. For some reason I had most of the drawing hidden. I uploaded a second copy that will hopefully work.
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

I'm not sure why it's defaulting to "Normal" in the View menu. If you select Outline, the complete drawing shows up. Sorry about that. I thought I saved it correctly but apparently it defaults to the other view option.
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Hi All,

I did some more experimenting to try and find out why I couldn't get the Union command to work with this drawing in Inkscape. I think it must be something to do with the drawing or the settings or something along those lines. I just can't figure out what. The reason I think that... I deleted the oval that the letters Est are supposed to go in, and redrew it using the bezier tool and then I can get my letters to attach to the bottom of the oval using the Union command.

I really don't want to have to trace the whole drawing but can if need be. just thought someone might know what it is that I need to change or do to the original drawing to make it work right? Hoping it's something simple.

Thanks everyone.

PS... for whatever reason when you open up my SVG file, the default setting for View is "Normal" which means all you can see is the letters "Est". If you change the view setting to Outline, you can see the drawing and what I'm referring to.

Thanks again for any assistance.

Jeff
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Oh my gosh... I'm getting so frustrated.

Just when I thought I was over the hump because I was finally able to redraw the box that the letters Est went in and got them to attach properly. But then when I started working on the oval with the date, I started having trouble again.

Ok, so I redrew the oval from the original drawing, placed the date inside of it. Then I added small tabs to hold the numbers so they don't drop out once the oval is cut. (I'm not really fond of this idea but this appear to be the way it was done in the original) Again, I'm having trouble with the union command. When I use the union command, the tabs stick up above the oval and the letter disappears. Ugghhh. See second image file.

I really wanted to do this myself and I thought that I was on the right track but at this point, I'm willing to pay someone to take the original dxf of the scroll and add the last name and date to it, and send it to back to me.

Attached is an image of just prior to using the union command, then what happens after I use it. Also, an image of and example of what I'm trying to accomplish. Of course not the correct name and date though.
Attachments
Last Name - Est - Sample.JPG
Last Name - Est - Sample.JPG (34.05 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Date where number 1 dissapears.JPG
Date issue.JPG
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Good morning Jeff
I have worked on you drawing for about an hour and gave up. :? You have so many different drawing elements mixed up in this project, some have way to many nodes in them see attached screenshot. I do believe there are to many problems to correct, and you should have one of the guys here that will create for pay what you want from scratch. I would suggest the next time you start a project do not mix outlines and other drawing elements use the fill and stroke function only. You do letters by clicking on fill and stroke after you have your words then remove the fill and go to stroke and use the type for the line size, this will give you an outline that works easier. :)
family bad.JPG
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Jfile »

Acourtjester -

Thank you so much for spending time on it for me. I knew it was a mess. Actually I got the drawing template from this forum and was just trying to add the date and name. I could tell the original drawing had way too many nodes but I couldn't figure out an easy way to reduce that number. I tried the "Simplfy" command but it didn't seem to do anything. I was almost to the point of just putting the original drawing in a layer and using it as a guide to trace it all new. I wasn't looking forward to that with all of those curves in the scroll work.

I'm not at home right now but it looks like someone else has worked on it for me. I can't open it up now to check it out but hopefully it will save me for this time.

One question though regarding a comment you made about the text. Were you saying that I shouldn't use the text tool? I got a little bit confused when you mentioned the fill and stroke functions. What I have been doing is inserting text using the text tool with whatever font I want and then converting it to a path. That seems to work okay but if that's not the best way to do it, I definitely want to get it right. ;-)

Thank you again for your time and assistance.

Jeff
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Plate Marker
InkScape / SheetCam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

What I meant was when you use the text tool for lettering then go to fill and stroke and remove the fill and then click on stroke for an outline of the letters. You can then give the stroke type a line size, when cutting use a very thin line for clean cuts. :D
jeff.JPG
jeff.JPG (31.08 KiB) Viewed 923 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester