Importing an SVG into a CAD Program

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Importing an SVG into a CAD Program

Post by TrinityFabworks »

How are many of you drawing firepits and other items that require specific dimensions or fine details on drawings that you also add artwork to? I'm thinking of somehting like the "soccerball" style firepits each shape needs very specific dimensions, but you also need to be able to easily change the graphic out for different customers preferences. I use inkscape, autodesk programs, and sheetcam if that helps. I would like to design something in fusion, inventor, autocad, etc. with very specific detailed dimensions, and add artwork to the piece before I send it to Sheetcam. Any ideas?
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Importing an SVG into a CAD Program

Alot of times in inkscape it is much easier to deal with a vector image than a DXF. Is there a way that once I "open" the DXF I can do something similar like "trace to bitmap" so that I can make easy changes?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

You can draw the shapes you want in CAD save this as DXF the import it into Inkscape and then bring in the art work and position it in the shape then save it for loading it into SheetCam. Once you have the original shape made or a number of them you just import it as a file then add the artwork. The original shape will always be the size you want, and you can scale the artwork to fit into it for the finished DXF or SVG files to cut.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

When I try to save it as a dxf in the CAD programs, I have about 10 different options for DXF files. Any idea which one inkscape likes best? Some of them open in inkscape but on a tiny scale, with a great loss in detail and precision.

Return to “Inkscape”