Image coloring and layer advice needed.

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
ben de lappe
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Image coloring and layer advice needed.

Post by ben de lappe »

When I complete a drawing for a client I use Inkscape to add color/fill to create a .png proof of that drawing. My process: Save .dxf as .pdf, import into Inkscape. Color the .pdf and save as .png. What I would like to do is color my drawing and create a second layer, preferably black, to back the image instead of the white background. No matter how I try to work the background layer I cannot achieve the look I'm after, the top layer takes precedence and the image does not stand out as intended. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm attaching this file as .pdf as well as .png, hopefully I can achieve what I'm after unless my thought process is totally off here.

Thanks again.
Attachments
Iron Maiden_The Trooper.png
Iron Maiden_The Trooper.pdf
(54.15 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Image coloring and layer advice needed.

Post by Gamelord »

Inkscape and Corel are quite similar, here's what I do in Corel Draw.

Just draw a large square the size you want the background to be, color it black and place it over the top of the drawing. Make sure the background square (or whatever shape you draw) is selected, then use the "CTRL +PgDn" buttons to move the square background to the back of the drawing.

That should put your background image behind your main one. No need to actually create an entire seperate layer.

If that doesn't work, you can try this method:
Press the CTRL +A" keys, (Select All Objects). This should select everything you have drawn.
Cut everything from the page (basically moving your drawing to the clipboard) so you have a blank workspace.
Then draw your background image, color it whatever color you need.
Then use the "Paste" command to paste your drawing back onto the workspace.

Normally when you paste a new image, it usually places it on top of everything else - which should render the outcome you desire.

Once done, export out to .Jpg or .PNG or whatever format needed.

Hope this helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
ben de lappe

Post by ben de lappe »

Thank you very much Gamelord, that did the trick. The ctrl+pgdn maneuver didn't work but the cut and paste did. Now with a little playing with color options etc. I believe I can put out a little better looking image. My opinion anyway.

Thanks again!
Attachments
Eddie Rebel_Black Background.png
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Awesome, glad it helped.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

Return to “Inkscape”