File Nightmare

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
illusivedf
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

File Nightmare

Post by illusivedf »

I have a file I am working on for a customer, a pretty clean raster image was sent to me. I'm pretty new to Inkscape and have a bunch of other programs but I like the way the bitmap trace works.

Long story short I have tried opening it with various programs, Draftsight, Autocad 2006, Adobe Illustrator CS, Cutting shop that came with my Dynatorch (also tried raster to vector conversion with that program but everything is really choppy) and I just can not get a clean DXF file to open with We-Cim to do the Gcode conversion. Some files will not open certain lines in We-Cim and some have so many nodes its taking like 10 min to load the file and even then its showing the bezier curve points and multiple lines have double lines. I have spent 2 days on this file and can not get it to look good other than an SVG format in Inkscape.

What is the best way to export as a DXF? I have watched the you tube videos one of the vendors here posted which was a lot of help with the basics but it just seems to export a ton of extra lines. Also We-cim with not read splines at all I have to explode them to poly lines if and when I do have them, which produces a million nodes.

I prefer not to post the file as it is for a client just looking for some general guidance for exporting.
Owner at Illusive Design & Fabrications
http://www.illusivefabrications.com
Air Ride Suspension Parts
Metal Fabrication
Dynatorch 4x8 with Hypertherm 1250
Vinyl Decals & Signs
Powder Coating
illusivedf
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: File Nightmare

Post by illusivedf »

Well I found an optimize tool in Cutting shop that cleaned it up pretty good. I still had to delete some lines that were randomly placed from the conversion to dxf and had a couple lines hiding under other lines. Also had some really tiny arcs that were broken up into extremely tiny segments which I just deleted and connected the main 2 lines that were close by and it I finally have it all coded to cut after 3 days haha. Learning curve. Would still be nice if I can get the file to export from Inkscape with out all of the extra lines that are there for no reason.
Owner at Illusive Design & Fabrications
http://www.illusivefabrications.com
Air Ride Suspension Parts
Metal Fabrication
Dynatorch 4x8 with Hypertherm 1250
Vinyl Decals & Signs
Powder Coating

Return to “Inkscape”