how to make small changes to lines

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

how to make small changes to lines

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a little trick I learned to move lines or objects in Inkscape. When you find a line or object is to close to another for cutting you can make small moves to separate then by using this trick. First you must have it in path with nodes on the image like just before you save to DFX or SVG files. Then zoom up the area you need to work on and click on the edit path by nodes button to show the nodes on the lines. The nodes are small square boxes that you click on and move where you want. They also have round balls on arms off each side of the box these can be pivoted to change that angles of the lines around the boxes. by clicking on the node you can move it all around and the balls help to change the shape too.
I made a short video and compressed it to show what I am talking about. I hope you can un-pack it to view it this is the first time I did this with a video. I uploaded 2 types of compression.

Have fun
Tom
Attachments
Node movement0003.zip
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
Node movement0003.rar
(2.57 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: how to make small changes to lines

Post by Gamelord »

I am not sure in Inkscape, but in Corel here's a trick that you may be able to use. Hopefully it will work in Inkscape as well.

Holding down the shift key will allow you to select multiple nodes by clicking on each one that you want to include, then when you have all the nodes selected that you want, move one and it moves all of the ones you selected at the same time. This makes it easy to move a curved line without having to worry about changing the actual shape by moving individual nodes one at a time.

Again, not sure if Inkscape allows this, but if it does it may save you a bunch of time.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
No Lemon
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by No Lemon »

Gamelord wrote:I am not sure in Inkscape, but in Corel here's a trick that you may be able to use. Hopefully it will work in Inkscape as well.

Holding down the shift key will allow you to select multiple nodes by clicking on each one that you want to include, then when you have all the nodes selected that you want, move one and it moves all of the ones you selected at the same time. This makes it easy to move a curved line without having to worry about changing the actual shape by moving individual nodes one at a time.

Again, not sure if Inkscape allows this, but if it does it may save you a bunch of time.
This works in Inkscape as we'll.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

shows there is "more then one way to skin a cat"
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe