Smooth cutting line

Inkscape related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
pharvey
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Smooth cutting line

Post by pharvey »

Hi I am new to inkscape. I am creating files to use in our fastcut plasma cutter which uses Turbocad. I save the file as dxf to transfer into program. When it is opened in plasma cutter all the curves are serious of straight lines and cause the outline to look choppy. Is there a way in Inkscape for me to avoid this? I don't want to recreate all my lines in Turbocad.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Smooth cutting line

Post by acourtjester »

I think it may be the tool you used to generate the line, there are 2 pen like Icons. With one I think you hole the ctrl key while drawing and it forces it to me straight. Its the one above the ink pen looking one.
Check this out
line .dxf
(3.88 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
adbuch

Re: Smooth cutting line

Post by adbuch »

Which tools are you using to draw your curved lines? Perhaps you could post an example of one of your Inkscape files. Save it as both svg and dxf so we can take a look. I tried drawing some curved lines, a square, and one freehand curve. The free-hand curve looks "choppy" but that is only because I don't have a steady hand. This is what they look like both as drawn in Inkscape and when I save as dxf and open with Design Edge. None of them appear to be a series of straight lines.

David
Curved lines in Inkscape.jpg
Curved lines from Inkscape.jpg

Return to “Inkscape”