NEED HELP!!!! Hobby Plaz

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
ginsu72
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

NEED HELP!!!! Hobby Plaz

Post by ginsu72 »

Hello everyone im pretty new to this forum, i have been going back and forth for 6 weeks now trying to get my hobby plaz up and running. After i got it and put it together i fried the control boards on the second trial run. The guys at CNC gearhead were great at repairing it and getting my control center back to me, but i lost 2 eeks. then my compresor went down that was another week. so now im on my 6th week got the compresor in and going got the plasma cutter nd table all situated aand decided to run a couple test files.....no luck i have a cutmaster 38 from therml dynamiks and aboout half way through every file it starts pulsing and skiping i have checked air flow, voltge, etc......im at a complete stand still not sure what its doing, but im ready to sell it all off and go back to cutting with a torch by hand....any suggestions from any one will be extreamly welcomed......thanks
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: NEED HELP!!!! Hobby Plaz

Post by Gamelord »

Getting a table dialed in the first time can be a headache. When I first got my table I was very concerned that I had made the right choice. First cuts were well.....not good thats for sure! LOL

Here's the deal though, once you get it worked out and running good you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Couple things to check - more basics than anything.

1) Torch height - Pierce height and cutting height are probably the most important thing you can ever get set. If these are not right then you can expect bad cuts, massive dross, poor cuts with blowback, not cutting through, arc going out etc... Make sure that these are set where they need to be.

2) Torch speed - too fast or too slow will either cause the cut to burn over and blow out or not cut all the way through causing blowback which can destroy your tip and kill the arc.

3) Make sure you are using the correct power and tip for the metal you are cutting.

4) Make sure your metal is clean. If you are cutting a nasty rusty corroded piece, it can really effect the way your torch cuts and can screw up your height control, causing the torch to either dive into the metal or back off and lose the arc.

5) Make sure you have the best possible ground on your piece as possible. This is a must!

6) Water (in your air lines) will destroy your cut, tip, torch, etc.. Even if you think your compressor and lines are dry....they're not! You need to make double & triple sure that you have removed all the water from your lines. A dryer is a must! Water in your lines can screw up your height control, will destroy your tips 10x faster than they normal and can kill your arc. This is not to be confused with a water table which is fine.

7) Warn out consumables - Any of the above issues will wear out your electrodes and tips. Bad tips = bad cuts. If your tip is shot, it can arc out against your torch causing the height control to go bonkers or can kill your arc all together. Either way, it is not good and they need to be replaced when warn. Blowback, water in the air, diving into the plate can all cause excessive damage to your tips.

These are just some of the basics off of the top of my head. Stick with it though, as I said, once you get your machine dialed in and get use to running it, you will probably sell your arm before selling your table. LOL
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
ginsu72
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: NEED HELP!!!! Hobby Plaz

Post by ginsu72 »

Sorry i didnt reply back its been a while. thanks for the tips. i got the machine cutting, not great but its cutting i have a lot of dross i cant seam to get the torch heights set but they are getting better with each cut. i was having problems mainly with software being unfamiliar with cad and cnc etc. so i have been teaching my self how to use everything last couple months. i use bobcad and mach3, i have been expermenting with sheet cam and i seam to like it better for my post then bobcad, but when i draw items i have to go back to bobcad, so its more time consuming to be using 3 different programs to make 1 2 minute cut, but im sure as time goes by ill get better :mrgreen: .

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”