30 amp tip - need chart

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

30 amp tip - need chart

Post by Fountaine »

I want to try a 30 amp tip and need a setup chart. I have a TD A40 with a machine torch.

Also I have not used a shielded tip. What can I expect when I try one.

I am using a 40 amp tip cutting 16 ga steel. My THC V's are 105 cutting at 100 ipm.

On small cuts, pierce and quick short move, I get a lot of slag. I am looking for ways to clear this up. I am also getting slag on a vertical right side cut.
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: 30 amp tip - need chart

Post by trucutcnc »

I don't have the book in front of me, but on 16ga we're at 140IPM, 40A, 107V. We always cut CR because we can buy it cheaper than HR and it cuts so clean at the above settings all it takes is a touch with a flap disc.
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

I talked to Thermal Dynamics requesting the same information with regards to a 30 amp tip. Their response was to use the 40 amp information found in their book! I'm of the opinon if they want to sell any other tip for their machines they should include this information in their manual. I do agree that cutting CR is better than HR - the dross does come off easier.
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

The reason they recommend the 40 instead of the 30 is because the 30 is not available in a machine tip. Drag tips will work on a CNC machine, but a 40A machine tip will give you a better cut.
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

The 30 amp tip is all I have been using for quite awhile on my cnc machine. the quality of the cut is normally excellent. TD does not recommend this tip on machine torch. I suspect the tolerance on the orifice is not close enough for consistent results. With a new tip I start off with a 30 amp setting on the machine. If the cut quality isn't good I raise the amps up on the machine 1-2 amps. There is normally a hissing sound in the cutting process when things aren't right. Occasionally the cut is good all through it's normal cutting life - about 3 hours. Often after an hour of cutting with a tip I will have to increase the amp setting. to maintain good cut quality. In most cases I will still get 3 Hour out of the tip. 33-34 amp setting is the highest I have had to use. My torch stand off is 1/8 in. 18 ga cutting at 90 ipm.
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fountaine »

SRP.....Thanks for the info. I will put it to good use.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”