Drag gun wont arc

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Huntertownsen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Drag gun wont arc

Post by Huntertownsen »

Looking for some advice. I am new to plasma cutting. I have a drag gun by thermal dynamics. I ordered replacement consumables for it from amazon. With the new tips in place, I get a very weak spark and no flame but once the old consumables are on, it works fine. I then ordered 2 different torch heads with leads, I installed both sets , and I get the same thing. These are both pilot arc. When I re-install the old torch head with the old consumables it works fine, they are just wore out. The second torch I installed did work once , but every other time I try to start it , just a weak spark. I have made sure I am connecting the ground and tried to touch start it. This makes no sense to me as to why the old stuff works fine , but I just get a weak spark on the new stuff. Pulling my hair out, any and all suggestions are appreciated . I looked at oem consumables , but they are way too expensive
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Drag gun wont arc

Post by adbuch »

My recommendation is to stick with OEM Thermal Dynamics consumables. They may cost more, but the time savings in having a reliable cutting system as opposed to problematic operation and chasing your tail will be well worth the additional expense. For the cost of those two additional torch heads, you could probably get a nice batch of OEM consumables instead. I would send all the aftermarket stuff back to Amazon, and spend your money on the OEM consumables.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Ya, I am with David. Sure the OEM consumables are more but it doesn't sound like your going through a lot of them and when you take into account the time and money spent on the aftermarket crap that isn't working at all it's the best decision.
Huntertownsen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Huntertownsen »

Well I finally got back to messing with it. I removed the compressor(the compressor was pumping air, but evidently not enough). and replaced it with a solenoid valve and shop air. It is now cutting , but only when touching the surface. In pilot arc mode, it sputters but does not have a continuous flame. I am thinking possibly a bad ground to the torch head? I have adjusted the air pressure both ways without any change. I am learning how these operate the hard way , lol. Any suggestions are appreciated .
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

A copy is not always as good as original, you may end up damaging the plasma unit if you continue with these attempts to make things work.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Huntertownsen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Huntertownsen »

acourtjester wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:32 pm A copy is not always as good as original, you may end up damaging the plasma unit if you continue with these attempts to make things work.
I agree, but tbh, I am not willing to put much money into it. If I cannot get it to work without dumping a bunch of money into it , I will just scrap it and buy a new one. I appreciate your input.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

The start cartridges in the genuine SL60/SL100 torches can be finicky and cause start issues. I have no idea if this is your problem but definately check that the plunger in the center of the cartridge moves freely and that the beveled edge at the bottom of the plunger that sits in the top of the nozzle is smooth and free from pitting or markings or it can stich to the nozzle when the air should be lifting it during the start.
Huntertownsen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Huntertownsen »

weldguy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:15 am The start cartridges in the genuine SL60/SL100 torches can be finicky and cause start issues. I have no idea if this is your problem but definately check that the plunger in the center of the cartridge moves freely and that the beveled edge at the bottom of the plunger that sits in the top of the nozzle is smooth and free from pitting or markings or it can stich to the nozzle when the air should be lifting it during the start.
I will check that , thanks for the input

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”