Drag gun

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Huntertownsen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Drag gun

Post by Huntertownsen »

Hello, I am new to this forum , and to plasma cutting. I was given an old Drag gun plasma cutter with a pch-10 torch head. The Machine works fine, but the consumeables are very worn. I ordered aftermarket consumables from amazon. I installed the new ones, and I barely get and sparks off of it, I tried several sets, nothing. I looked at oem consumeables , but the are too cost prohibitive. I decided to Replace the whole torch assembly, Once again oem torches are too costly. I installed the new torch head and lead, same thing, it barely sparks. I re-installed the old torch and consumeables and once again it works fine. I have not clue why this wont work with new parts. Getting frustrated , any and all help would be appreciated . One thought I have about the the new consumeables is that possibly they need roughed up to work? I have already sent them back, but I may re-order them and try hitting them with some emery before I install. I really thought the new torch would solve it. I ordered another torch , hoping that the one i got was defective. Once again , I can barely even get a spark, and that is going directly to the ground clamp. Also the pilot arc is not working with the new parts. Thanks in Advance for any and all help.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Drag gun

Post by djreiswig »

Does it work with the old worn consumables that were in it? If not, I'd say you have other problems.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

take some measurements and compare the old to the new with a Vernier.

I suspect something is not making contact

take some photos

with just a description it's all just guess work
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Maybe post some photos so we can get a better idea what is going on.
David
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Not at all familiar with your torch however if the consumable items are meant to move during the start process like they do in the Hypertherm torchs it is possible that the something is tight and not moving. For example with Hypertherm air plasma the electrode must move freely inside the swirl ring. Your may have a similar system or it may be a plunger that moves I do not know but I would inspect the used and new consumables for any dimensional differences and see how that may impact any moving parts in the torch assembly.
Huntertownsen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Huntertownsen »

Wow, I just found all of these answers, I will get some photos and get them posted here. I apologize for not answering your suggestions. I will check to see if the electrode moves.
Huntertownsen
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Huntertownsen »

djreiswig wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 7:13 pm Does it work with the old worn consumables that were in it? If not, I'd say you have other problems.
It does work with the old consumeables, just has an erratic arc. I just replaced the on board air compressor with a 12v valve and shop air. I now am able to cut with it, but the pilot arc is sporadic unless I contact the tip to ground. I have adjusted the air pressure both ways without much change.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”