A120 won't arc

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
Andrewbcdueck
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

A120 won't arc

Post by Andrewbcdueck »

I just had my A120 start giving me issues. It just pulses the pilot arc on and off very rapidly, but it will not ignite. I've tried a bunch of new tips and electrodes, starting cartridge, but nothing seems to help. It was wanting to just arc inside my tip between the tip and the electrode, or tip and start cartridge. But I tried a bunch of different tips, nozzles, left if looser, tighter, machine torch, and hand torch it made no difference. It is a 12-13-year-old unit, so is that the deal? My contactor was acting up but I cleaned that all up and now it isn't buzzing or chattering like it was, although one pole on it is definitely darker from heat I assume. I attached a picture. Also aftering trying this all without ever striking an arc I felt inside the plasma on top end kindof you have the cluster of capacitors or whatever they are, with the white rectangular boxes ontop of them, they were quite hot and I hadn't done anything other then get a few piddly arcs to last for less than a second.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do I need to order the BOSS Table I've been eyeing for a few months? LOL

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: A120 won't arc

Post by weldguy »

That's a bummer. The start cartridges in those systems can be finicky. The spring loaded plunger on the cartridge has a bevel designed into it that contacts the nozzle. This will become pitted from arcing and can stick to the nozzle and cause start issues. Clean the bevel on the cartidge with a scotchbrite pad so its smooth and give it another try. I would also clean it that electrical connection at your contactor, looks butchered up and could be the cause of the overheated contact which will give you grief in the future.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”