cut conditions on TD units

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

cut conditions on TD units

Post by rock4xfab »

i have a cutmaster 51...
would like to know what others with the same are using to get quality cuts

PH
CH
IPM
arc Volts

I am still playing with some 14 gauge And really don"t like the results
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: cut conditions on TD units

Post by srp »

Additional info will help.

Tip used: 30 or 40 Amp?
Tip PN#:
Amperage set at?:
Torch SL60?:
Cutting 14ga HR?
Although I am NO expert on TD products there is a common thread through their information - Don't believe everthing you read. I see that the Cutmaster 51 is designed as a Hand torch. In their information they don't offer a tip for machine cutting. I don't have voltage control height on my machine with the torch cutting height maintained at a consistant height. I find the best height at 1/8"(.125) using a 40 amp machine tip(9-8208). 114 IPM is probably a good speed. In other literature they suggest a PH of 3/16"(.190). The difference between the machine tip and the drag tip(9-8207) is considerable. Dont rely on just voltage setting for height. Check with a feeler gauge. Others shoud add in. Gotta run and I will follow. John
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

srp wrote:Additional info will help.

Tip used: 30 or 40 Amp? 40amp 8207 on my Machine torch I found this after all the test cuts I was sold these with the machine torch. I have 9-8208 on order along with the 9-8245 shield cup
Tip PN#: 9-8207 have new ones on order
Amperage set at?: 40
Torch SL60?: SL 100 machine torch
Cutting 14ga HR? Yes
Although I am NO expert on TD products there is a common thread through their information - Don't believe everthing you read. I see that the Cutmaster 51 is designed as a Hand torch. In their information they don't offer a tip for machine cutting. I don't have voltage control height on my machine with the torch cutting height maintained at a consistant height. I find the best height at 1/8"(.125) using a 40 amp machine tip(9-8208). 114 IPM is probably a good speed. In other literature they suggest a PH of 3/16"(.190). The difference between the machine tip and the drag tip(9-8207) is considerable. Dont rely on just voltage setting for height. Check with a feeler gauge. Others shoud add in. Gotta run and I will follow. John
Thank for the info
-Scott
srp
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by srp »

Scott - You should notice a hugh improvement with the new tip.- John
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

I put in the correct 9-8202 Tip Speed to 85IPM Pierce .19 cut .13 90 volts and machine on 35 amp Now I am seeing what I think I should have saw.. I ordered a bunch of tips today but the shield tips are hard to come by and $19. pc so I think I am on the right track again.. Also I got my air dryer completely hooked up so that is a plus also.. The one thing I have to get figured out is.. my arc voltage is set at 90... Mach 3 is reading 115-127 during the cut, the z is quickly compensating but the Height of the torch looks alot higher then the .130 it should be for cutting..
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

The physical height of the torch is the important factor.....adjust your arc voltage so the the physical height is correct during steady state cutting. Arc voltage varies from machine to machine based on calibration, length of cables, ect. etc.
Just use the arc voltage setting...once you get the physical height correct...as a reference for the next time you have to cut the same material using all of the same parameters.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
rock4xfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rock4xfab »

Jim with Arc voltage if I set it at say 80 would this help drive it down, or does it go up. I remember reading about it but dont recal where. My understanding is you set the height in mach but Arc voltage will run the torch up and down chasing itself. but dont recall if it is he higher number or lower that will bring it closer. ALso I still have to open the plasma and adjust the Arc ok... Mine is set to high and I could have an ARC ok signal 1.5" off the plate. As for the Cut now.. Other then about 20 deg of bevel on 14 gauge... The cut is realy smooth with the exception of a couple spots I have a serated edge?? I am sure this is from the torch oscilating for Arc volts.. I physicly watched it under the welding helmet to get a clear view of what was happening. THE CUT RIGHT NOW 100% 0 Dross on the back.. other then the bevel it is a beutiful cut. I do beleieve that is the height issue.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”