Issue with my Cutmaster A60

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Issue with my Cutmaster A60

Post by jpaakman »

Im sure hopping for some help from you guys.

I have a Cut Master a60 and I have it on a Torchmate 2 CNC table.

I have been experiencing issues cutting anything over 1/8" Mild steel. It seems to pierce fine.
However, after it gets the OK to move signal from the a60. It seems to just lightly gouge the top of the steel.
Once in a while it will cut fine but it is really intermittent. Most of the time it does the
light "gouge" deal.

Occasionally it will fault 85. Not sure if it is the problem or a result of the cutting issue.
I have new consumables in and everything looks ok. Thinking it could b a grounding issue. or possibly a torch (sl60) Any thoughts or ways to test either.
test gusset.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Issue with my Cutmaster A60

Post by adbuch »

Is the fault code displayed on the plasma cutter, or the controller for your table? Are you cutting at the correct height and with the correct air pressure? Do you have your work clamp connected directly to the sheet of material you are attempting to cut? You cuts look like your cut height is too high. Some might suggest that you have a possible moisture issue in your air lines.
David
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

Thanks for your reply. The fault code is on the a60. I have to switch off power and back on to clear the fault. Just to be clear, it dosent always fault. Just some times between pierce and cut. I have a air drier in the system and prior to these cuts had a very clean cut (see picture).

As for height, it is as it always is for .25" mild steel. cutting at 45 IPM on a 40amp tip.

Thanks,

Jeremy
20200810_181247.jpg

jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

Side note... I can hook up my hand SL100 torch and ignite it fine and it cuts no problems. That's why I'm thinking it may be a torch issue...
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

Forgot to address the other questions you asked. Yes the ground clamp is directly connected to the work piece and pressure is set at 80psi and it holds real strong.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Are you using torch height control or manually setting your cut height? If you are using THC, are you sure that your cut height is maintaining 0.140" as specified in the cut chart. I would recommend doing a test cut and pausing the machine mid-cut to physically measure the torch to work piece distance. It is possible that your THC (if you have one) is either not receiving the correct arc voltage from the plasma cutter, or is defective and not maintaining the correct torch cut height. Failure to monitor arc voltage would not affect manual hand cutting operation.
David
Cutmaster A60 chart chart.jpg

jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

I have THC but found i always had issues with it and always run in manual mode. I have checked hight but it dosen't seem like its the issue. Really seems weird my sl100 hand torch cuts fine but the sl60 machine torch won't cut. Using same ground and swapping the torches.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Your hand torch cuts fine when mounted to the plasma table? Or do you mean when cutting by hand? Now that we know you have two torches, I suspect there may be a problem with the machine torch. If you haven't already done so, mount the hand torch to the cnc table and see how it does. If it cuts fine, then you know you have a problem with your machine torch.
David
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

By hand... I will set that up and report back.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

OK. I will look forward to hearing your results.
David
Business Card 1.jpg

Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Anytime I've had cutting issues with my A120 with SL100 torch, replacing the electrode solves the problem.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

The OP has already stated: "I have new consumables in and everything looks ok"
David
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

adbuch wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 am The OP has already stated: "I have new consumables in and everything looks ok"
David
Ooops I forgot. The other issue I have had causing that is water in the air but its so long since I fitted a refrigerated drier, I forgot!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

As I mentioned above: "Some might suggest that you have a possible moisture issue in your air lines."
Thanks,
David
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

I had to cut a part for a customer today and it did it on thinner material 14 ga steel. It never has had an issue with anything under 11ga.
Seem like its getting worse. I was able to run the cut twice and it cut it fairly clean.

I still will have to set it up to use my hand plasma. When doing this, how would I bypass the trigger so that it looks for arc to move to the next. Should I just manually pull the trigger to simplify it? (if that will even work)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You can use a plastic cable tie to keep the hand torch trigger in the "on" position. As long as the torch trigger connections (where the torch cable plugs into the machine) are the same for both the hand torch and machine torch, it should work fine.
David
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

I had to hold the trigger while it ran so there is a bit of bevel. Other than that it cut great for all things concidered.

With that said. What can fail in the torch? Is it rebuildable? Has anyone seen a bad torch with this problem? Has anybody rebuilt a machine torch?

Thanks,

Jeremy
20200811_175525.jpg

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Looks good. At least you've got it cutting. I use hand torches on both of my Plamsacam table, so no experience with machine torch. Maybe take it to your local welding store to have them take a look at it.
David
sonbakler
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by sonbakler »

jpaakman wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:59 pm
With that said. What can fail in the torch? Is it rebuildable? Has anyone seen a bad torch with this problem? Has anybody rebuilt a machine torch?
Not much can go wrong with the torch. Are you using the same consumables and start plunger in both torches rather than 2 different sets of consumables so your comparing apples for apples? Have you opened up the torch to be sure the current leads that feed the electrode aren't loose? Maybe they are attached with a fastener that came loose or something but I have no experience with the SL100 torches.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

sonbakler wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:47 am
Not much can go wrong with the torch. Are you using the same consumables and start plunger in both torches rather than 2 different sets of consumables so your comparing apples for apples? Have you opened up the torch to be sure the current leads that feed the electrode aren't loose? Maybe they are attached with a fastener that came loose or something but I have no experience with the SL100 torches.
These are some great ideas!
David
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

I was thinking the same as you. The first cut I made with the hand torch, it cut fine so I did swap all consumables out to machine torch. (Process of elimination). Right?
Nothing...
As for a loose current lead. Maybe. Has anyone taken one of these apart or know how? I'm very mechanically Inclined but some direction would be helpful.
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

Talked to someone in tech support today and he had me do a ohm test from the machine side of the buss connector to the ground cable. It checked out. He said definitively the torch body was bad. I pulled the torch assembly apart and every thing was solid and looked good. So I ordered a new torch body for it. I will keep you all in the loop. Thanks for all the input! I will take pictures so if someone else has the issue they can see how to disassemble the torch in the future.
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

sonbakler wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:47 am
The Current Lead was solid and tight. Good thought though...
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Thanks for the update!
David
jpaakman
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by jpaakman »

So far so good. Ill keep running tests to be sure. Here are my photos if anyone runs into the same situation I did and need them for reference.

Thanks again for all the help.
20200820_161234.jpg
20200820_161256.jpg
20200820_161309.jpg
20200820_161317.jpg
20200820_161601.jpg
20200820_161652.jpg
20200820_161725.jpg
20200820_161808.jpg
20200820_161839.jpg
20200820_161912.jpg
If anyone has questions I'd be happy to help!

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”