PT-37 arc start issues

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
woburn88
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

PT-37 arc start issues

Post by woburn88 »

Hello forum,

I'm having issues with my ESAB powercut 900 and the PT-37 mechanized torch. I've been using the system on a 4x8 table I built for about 7 years. I've done a lot of Ag, artsy and custom work with it but it's really never performed flawlessly. I'm running a Dragon cut system from CandCNC using Sheetcam and Mach 3.

My primary issue is a piercing consistency, meaning sometimes it will fault after 3 attempts (or less) of trying to pierce. I've worked with the local ESAB reps and sent them consumables that I was using (I've only used ESAB consumables). They tested and said they worked fine on their system.

I've had the torch apart many times to inspect, clean and debug but everything looks good. I'm convinced it's in the torch somewhere.

This power head has been replaced twice with warranty board issues. The current head is a refurbished unit replaced under warranty. It has been working okay and the board issue has must have been resolved, it's been 5 years since the it was replaced.

While it may not be a popular comment in this section of the forum I've been saving for a Hypertherm PM85 and duramax torch to replace the current unit. Outside of any "void warranty" comments would it be possible to retrofit a duramax torch to the ESAB powercut 900? While I'd like to save my funds until I can afford the complete Hypertherm package, including mechanized and hand torch, I thought I could start with a duramax torch to help my current situation.

The video is the ARC start issue that happens somewhat randomly and seems to be getting worse over time. :Mad

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: PT-37 arc start issues

Post by weldguy »

I have never seen an Easb torch in person and not sure if it is similar to Hypertherm where the electrode must be able to move up and down inside the swirl ring freely but I would have a look at that.
woburn88
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by woburn88 »

Weldguy,

Thanks for the response! Yes the electrode is spring loaded down and the air retracts it at arc start. I initially thought the piston and seal were dry or sticky which could delay the arc start but I've had it apart 20 times and it all looks and moves freely and smoothly.

As mentioned I'm done with ESAB and my mind is already working towards the Hypertherm but I would like step into it by trying the torch on this machine. It's also been one of those problems that stumped the local dealers and I'd really like to get to the bottom of it before putting it to pasture.

Thanks again for responding.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Ahhh, ok, sounds like you have been through it all at this point. Without a doubt I would just stop spending time on it, get a Hypertherm and be done with it. Good luck
cdindustries
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cdindustries »

I have a powercut 900 that was retrofitted with a duramax hand torch and have the same issues from time to time as well. I am convinced it has to do with the design of the machine. Seems like as the consumables wear the problem gets worse. I would save up for the Hypertherm and not look back.
woburn88
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by woburn88 »

Cdindustries, thanks for your reply.

Your feedback helps me decide my next steps. So did you do the retrofit? I would hate to waste money by roaching a Duramax that I planed to use on a new Hypertherm. Plus I don't need anymore projects right now.

I've battled this issue for quite a while and have tried to pinpoint the cause. I've decided to not spend anymore time or money on it and move one.

Thanks,
cdindustries
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by cdindustries »

I did the retro fit for the hand torch because I couldn't give away the esab. I don't have the part number on hand but there is a retrofit duramax torch that has blunt cut wires at one end to connect to most machines. Not worth the money or the effort in my eyes. I couldn't be happier with my Hypertherm. Cut quality is awesome, consumables last longer, and are available everywhere. I bought a powermax 85 with the duramax machine torch and cpc connector options, no wiring needed, plug it in and go.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”