Thermal Dynamics A40 Misfiring

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
renatom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Thermal Dynamics A40 Misfiring

Post by renatom »

Hello Everyone,

I am just new on this forum and I have a problem on my Thermal Dynamics A40 Plasma Cutter. The unit is MisFiring without any error message on the Display Unit. Has anyone seen this Problem Before. Thank you in advance.
I have found a similar fault on youtube to describe the problem better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puCz3qxKFRk

Thanks
Last edited by renatom on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics A40 Miss firing

Post by plasmanewbie »

Long ago when I had a Thermal Dynamics A60 I had that problem. It turned out to be the consumables in the torch. It was a long time ago so I don't remember the exact solution but clean the start cartridge where it contacts the nozzle with a scrotch brite pad to get a fresh connection surface and install a new genuine Thermal Dyanmics electrode and nozzle. I know it was super simple like that.
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

It would help if your post was bit more specific. Is this on a plasma table? When does it misfire? Randomly or every time? Is it firing when it should not or not firing when it should? is it firing than losing arc ? What is controlling the torch fire (i.e what kind of control)
renatom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Thermal Dynamics A40 Misfiring

Post by renatom »

Hello Again,
Thank you for the feedback and support.
It's a CNC Plasma Table Controlled by Mach 3 Software with Hicon Vista CNC controller and Neuron THC Height Controller. It fires on the right time but,
It Misfires all the time from the start it Cuts. The Plasma unit is two years Old. Thanks
Last edited by renatom on Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Try what plasmanewbie posted first.(correct info from owning many Thermal units) Then try manually shorting pins #3-#4 together, and see if if it will fire the arc will and cut.. You can also move your table manually with the key board, by setting the jog speed % Just hit torch fire on the software and then jog the table.. Try another start cartridge if you have another one laying around..
renatom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by renatom »

Hello Everyone again,

Sorry for the late reply. I have followed Plasmanewbie's recommendation, change all the consumable with brand New consumables and new Start Cartridge. To isolate the CNC Controller I have followed Brand X recommendation shorting pins #3 and #4, But i get the same result. Do you think its the plasma unit itself that has a Problem? Thank you in advance.
renatom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by renatom »

Good Morning to All,

Just to Update Everyone I Think I have found the Problem on the TD A40 Plasma Cutter. Two of the switching IGBT module Relay Coils are Open.
I am just looking for replacement part so i Could replace them and Try the Plasma again. Picker Relay PTRD-1A-125-1-H 12 Volts DC Coil.
I will update you on the Progress. Thank you All
IMG-8ab3ac5b1f4a355c52b5a607a1e154a6-V.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

renatom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by renatom »

Just an Update , Got the relays and replaced the faulty units and the Plasma is working 100 %. Thank you for the Support
hbg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by hbg »

How did you find out which ones are open? Having same issue

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”