cutmaster 58 and 9-8311

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

cutmaster 58 and 9-8311

Post by prairiecreekmfg »

Does anyone know who actually has one of the interface kits (9-8311) in stock?
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: cutmaster 58 and 9-8311

Post by weldguy »

Not sure who actually has stock but if you are unable to get one you can hook you plasma cutter up without it. Does your plasma table have auto torch height control? If so do you know if it requires divided voltage or will it operate with raw arc voltage?
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

thank you for the reply. Yes, I have THC. I am using the proma myplasm controller. I can use either voltage.
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

weldguy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:40 am Not sure who actually has stock but if you are unable to get one you can hook you plasma cutter up without it. Does your plasma table have auto torch height control? If so do you know if it requires divided voltage or will it operate with raw arc voltage?
can you shed some light on how that is done? I am sure there is a post here covering it, but I cannot seem to locate it if there is.
thank you.
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Sorry for the delay, been gone for a couple days. I am not familiar with the inside of that machine but it is pretty easy to figure out no matter what machine your using. Unplug the unit from its power source. You can locate all the wires you need by opening the case and looking at the backside of the torch connection.

First lets locate the trigger wires that turn the torch on and off. If you have a hand torch this should be easy since you can trace the wires back from the trigger in to torch to the plug at the machine and follow those 2 wires inside the case and make the 2 trigger wire connections.

There will be a few wires coming into the machine from the torch plug that are likely all the same color and all terminate at the circuit board in the same location. These wires provide current to your torches electrode and this is where you connect the Negative wire for the THC.

Next locate where the ground cable comes into the plasma cutter. Follow that to where it terminates on the circuit board and this is where you will make your THC positive connection. I know this sounds backwards but this is the way it goes.

Hope this helps to get you started with turning the torch ona nd off and bringing RAW arc voltage back to your controller. Post back with your questions and or results.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Any updates?
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

yeah, i got the correct part and installed it with no issues. everything working great
Fadal 4020 with 527 control
Haas VF3
Bridgeport Series 2
Clausing Lathe
Millermatic 251
Millermatic 252 with push/pull for aluminum
Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 58
Everlast 82i
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

How do you like the Proma Myplasm? Pros and cons.
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

for my needs, it works very well. I do not use the onboard cad software, I have been using fusion 360 for the last 7 years. I have to pay for my license as I use it a lot in my machine shop to make parts and money. So, I wrote a post processor that works very nicely for my plasma controller. the only issue i have had with the proma is the cable 'brand' they supply is pretty much the best for this application. I ordered a 15ft version in the same brand and have had no issues with connectivity but did have issues with another brand of cable that cost quite a bit more than the recommended brand. price does not always translate into quality. when i built my table, it was because i had wanted one for a number of years, but could not really decide if I NEEDED one. As it turns out, i did need one. how i got along without it all these years is a mystery.
Haas VF3
Bridgeport Series 2
Clausing Lathe
Millermatic 251
Everlast 82i
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

Thank you :) when you say cable brand are you talking about the usb interface cable between your computer and the Myplasm controller board or the shielded cables going to all the motors etc?

I emailed Myplasm and never got a reply. It’s been at least a couple of weeks now.
prairiecreekmfg
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

yes. the usb interface cable. email will get you no where. the best and fastest way to get hold of them is through the whatsapp.
Haas VF3
Bridgeport Series 2
Clausing Lathe
Millermatic 251
Everlast 82i
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member