TD 60i & SL100SV Ohmic clip wiring

Thermal Dynamics plasma cutter discussion forum.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

TD 60i & SL100SV Ohmic clip wiring

Post by N2 Welding »

I purchased the SL100SV 180 deg machine torch for the 60i. I was under the impression the torch should have a wire on the outside near the air valve for the Ohmic clip and was routed within the torch lead back to the machineand. Is this not how the Ohmic clip is wired?

Does the Ohmic clip wiring get piggybacked on the outside of the torch along with all the other cabling for switches and motors? If so should the Ohmic clip wiring be in its own shielded wire separate from the switches and motor wires?
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: TD 60i & SL100SV Ohmic clip wiring

Post by djreiswig »

I'm not familiar with the TD units, but on my Hypertherm there is no wire for ohmic in the lead. You need to run a wire on the outside. I just used stranded wire. I don't think it needs to be shielded, since the torch isn't on when using ohmic sensing there should be no emi issues.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

:Like

I’m thinking pins 10 & 11 send the signal to the THC unit for any unshielded torch consumables without Ohmic clip and pin 13 is used with the Ohmic clip and shielding cup to send signal to the 60i then back out through same pins 10 & 11. Trying to make sense of the wiring configuration.

Edit: I had to google what a Male Faston was for the Ohmic sense wire at pin 13. Turns out it is just a regular spade wire connector. That makes sense.

Pics of the wiring:

ozzey01
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ozzey01 »

N2 Welding wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:11 pm I purchased the SL100SV 180 deg machine torch for the 60i. I was under the impression the torch should have a wire on the outside near the air valve for the Ohmic clip and was routed within the torch lead back to the machineand. Is this not how the Ohmic clip is wired?

Does the Ohmic clip wiring get piggybacked on the outside of the torch along with all the other cabling for switches and motors? If so should the Ohmic clip wiring be in its own shielded wire separate from the switches and motor wires?
The SL100SV 180-degree machine torch for the 60i is a plasma cutting torch manufactured by Hypertherm. It is designed to be used with Hypertherm's CNC plasma cutting systems, which may include an Ohmic sensing feature to improve cut quality and accuracy.

In general, the Ohmic clip is a separate component that is used to sense the height of the torch relative to the workpiece, which can help to compensate for variations in material height or unevenness in the cutting surface. The Ohmic clip is typically connected to the plasma cutter control unit or CNC controller via a separate wire, which may be shielded to reduce interference from other electrical signals.

In the case of the SL100SV torch, the Ohmic clip wire may be routed within the torch lead and connected to a dedicated connector on the torch itself, rather than being routed separately outside the torch along with other cabling for switches and motors. The specific wiring configuration may depend on the exact model of plasma cutter and torch being used, as well as any additional features or components that are included.
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

ozzey01 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 am
N2 Welding wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:11 pm I purchased the SL100SV 180 deg machine torch for the 60i. I was under the impression the torch should have a wire on the outside near the air valve for the Ohmic clip and was routed within the torch lead back to the machineand. Is this not how the Ohmic clip is wired?

The SL100SV 180-degree machine torch for the 60i is a plasma cutting torch manufactured by Hypertherm. It is designed to be used with Hypertherm's CNC plasma cutting systems, which may include an Ohmic sensing feature to improve cut quality and accuracy.

In general, the Ohmic clip is a separate component that is used to sense the height of the torch relative to the workpiece, which can help to compensate for variations in material height or unevenness in the cutting surface. The Ohmic clip is typically connected to the plasma cutter control unit or CNC controller via a separate wire, which may be shielded to reduce interference from other electrical signals.

In the case of the SL100SV torch, the Ohmic clip wire may be routed within the torch lead and connected to a dedicated connector on the torch itself, rather than being routed separately outside the torch along with other cabling for switches and motors. The specific wiring configuration may depend on the exact model of plasma cutter and torch being used, as well as any additional features or components that are included.
So what you are saying and trying to convince me, is Hyperthermia makes a torch for Thermal Dynamics? I have a hard time believing this. Do you have any literature and documentation to back up this claim. Even better would be a diagram showing wires for the pip and Ohmic sensing built into the torch.
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Clearly he is incorrect and this seemed strange to me also so I looked at his other posts and sure enough he has buried a link to a 3D printer website in one of his posts. Likely just a spammer trying to look legit. I will report his post with the hidden link.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

weldguy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:15 am Clearly he is incorrect and this seemed strange to me also so I looked at his other posts and sure enough he has buried a link to a 3D printer website in one of his posts. Likely just a spammer trying to look legit. I will report his post with the hidden link.
I think that he (Ozzey01) was just referencing a site with recommendations for 3D printers.

https://43dprint.org/3d-printer-for-miniatures/

I have seen the same technique many times on Wikipedia posts. Here is one for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boss_302_Mustang
hidden links.jpg
So I don't know that there is any "spamming" going on here. Admin will have the final word on this one.

David

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

N2 Welding wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:06 am
So what you are saying and trying to convince me, is Hyperthermia makes a torch for Thermal Dynamics? I have a hard time believing this. Do you have any literature and documentation to back up this claim. Even better would be a diagram showing wires for the pip and Ohmic sensing built into the torch.
I think he is confused between Thermal Dynamics and Hypertherm. Two entirely different companies and lines of cutters. Ozzey01 - if you can show us something to the contrary, then please do so.

David
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

adbuch wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:39 am
N2 Welding wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:06 am
I think he is confused between Thermal Dynamics and Hypertherm. Two entirely different companies and lines of cutters. Ozzey01 - if you can show us something to the contrary, then please do so.

David
Well looks like he made a couple posts and then went on a vacation.

Return to “Thermal Dynamics / Esab Plasma Cutters”