Pierce fires but no axis movement.-Mach3

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Pierce fires but no axis movement.-Mach3

Post by Fountaine »

On several occasions I get a pierce yet no axis movement. I shut the torch off then it will go to the next axis and resume the code movements and cutting. I am using Mach 3

An example: Today I was running a sign. The first sigh cut perfect. The second started running OK, then after cutting several parts, then it pierced and no axis movement. Part ruined. I reloaded the code and cut another complete design.

On the next run, it pierced on the 1st cut and held.

I do not know why it does this nor what to do about it. I would like to do something to jog it to start it's movement and resume without ruining the material.

Any suggestions out there.
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Pierce fires but no axis movement.

Post by Larry83301 »

Sounds like it may be in the code at the end of your file. It's shutting something off and the first of your program does not start it again. Check all the G codes at the end of your program.
Just a shot in the dark.

Larry
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Fountaine wrote:On several occasions I get a pierce yet no axis movement. I shut the torch off then it will go to the next axis and resume the code movements and cutting. I am using Mach 3

An example: Today I was running a sign. The first sigh cut perfect. The second started running OK, then after cutting several parts, then it pierced and no axis movement. Part ruined. I reloaded the code and cut another complete design.

On the next run, it pierced on the 1st cut and held.

I do not know why it does this nor what to do about it. I would like to do something to jog it to start it's movement and resume without ruining the material.

Any suggestions out there.

Are you running a THC? It sounds like maybe the touch off and pierce cycle may be getting messed up and either it is piercing too high or something is causing you to lose the ARC OK signal and MACH3 will just refuse to move. Sitting over a spot too long will cause it to burn through and lose arc. Its worse on thin material. The THC motion in MACH (response rate) is controlled by the THC Rate setting. Too high and the Z will lose steps DURING a cut so at the end it thinks the Z is a lot higher than it really is and may cause a problem if the next pierce is not proceeded by a touch off. If you are not using a THC or sheetCAM to generate your code then disregard.

TOM caudle
CandCNC
Diverdude
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Diverdude »

I've had the smae problem with mach 3, I know a few others have to. Mine does it only when the thc is on
PlasmaRoute HD 4x4
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fountaine »

Thanks all. This happens anywhere it wants on the design. It could be the 1st pierce or the 50th and 71st and 96th in a 200 pierce design.

What I have been doing is to tug down on the machine torch and it takes off. I have my pierce set at .15. I am going to try higher and lower tests.

I had a guy tell me yesterday he uses .2 as a pierce ht.

Any thoughts on this?

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”