Kerf

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
TLJC
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Kerf

Post by TLJC »

I am using a Fastcut G5 table. Today is the first time I have had to cut from an AutoCad drawing and I don't know how to allow for the kerf. The cnc software is the same as Dt's I'm told. There is a box on the bottom of my main cutting screen but it does not seem to change anything when I enter different values into it. I do not want to modify my drawings so the plasma cuts the right size. My test cuts show that the squares I'm cutting out are roughly .050" small.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great!!!

Trevor
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Kerf

Post by jimcolt »

While I am not totally familiar with your machines software....there should be a "post processing" software that came with your machine that takes the autocad .dxf file and adds lead ins, lead outs, etc.....and it also should have kerf compensation that (after you dial in the width of your plasma cutter kerf) will shift the position of the torch while cutting (different on inside and outside cutouts) to adjust for kerf width.

I would suggest calling the machine manufacturer and asking them how to set this function.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Bigrhamr
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigrhamr »

Trevor,
are you just using the DXF to G-code convertor in Dynatorch? If so it is just has very basic function and does not do kerf offset, leads or sequencing. You will need to use another program as a post processor, Wecim is a high end option with true shape nesting and many other functions. Sheetcam is much cheaper but simple and effective and there is a free trial version you can download. Those are the two I am familiar with, there are others. What you will be doing with the machine would help determine which software would be your best choice. Production work can make high end nesting software a good investment but if you are doing more art,one offs and customs it really isn't needed.

Chris.
TLJC
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by TLJC »

Thanks Jim and Chris,
I downloaded a trial version of pronest and got my pieces cut. The kerf is adusted in the nesting program.
Wow! I got my first pieces cut. Pretty exciting. Now to finish the rest of my jobs. :)

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”