Delusional Design Garbage

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
H1x2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Delusional Design Garbage

Post by H1x2 »

Hello

I purchased a 4x8 plasma table from Delusional Designs. It was a nightmare from the beginning. This was about 2 years ago. Apparently he has since closed his business. This was the first table he ever built with servo motors. The amount of money this has cost me makes me furious.

The Arduino controller has burned up again so I’m out of luck with continuing this design since I don’t have the code that was written to it.

I need to redo the whole table and buy a new controller, stepper motors and anything else I need to make this work.

Anyone have any suggestions?
biggscoug
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Delusional Design Garbage

Post by biggscoug »

My free 2 cents… either scrap it or keep what you can and rebuild it from the ground up. Gotta be some guys in here that have built their own tables.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I will help you get things going, Send me an Private Message from here with your email and we will work things out. I'm sure there are others here that will help too.
I have built 9 DIY tables and used different software and electronics to get the experiences with them.
have fun
Tom
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

I .... I won't. :roll:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

H1x2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:22 pm Hello

I purchased a 4x8 plasma table from Delusional Designs. It was a nightmare from the beginning. This was about 2 years ago. Apparently he has since closed his business. This was the first table he ever built with servo motors. The amount of money this has cost me makes me furious.

The Arduino controller has burned up again so I’m out of luck with continuing this design since I don’t have the code that was written to it.

I need to redo the whole table and buy a new controller, stepper motors and anything else I need to make this work.

Was your table running and cutting properly when you first got it - two years ago? If so, what was the sequence of events that led to you having problems with your table?

I would be interested to see some photos of your table, controller, etc. I have build a diy table in the past using the Arduino loaded with GRBL (GRBL converts g-code to step/direction signals for stepper motors - x,y, z). An entire controller would be made up of the Arduino, G-shield, power supplies, and stepper motor controllers. I'm not sure how the designer of your table was using the Arduino to control servo motors, but I expect that it is possible to do. As I recall, there are servo drives that use step/direction signals which would normally control stepper motors to control the servo motors. It may be possible that you only need to replace your defective Arduino and/or associated parts to be back in business.

Tom will have some good ideas of motors/controllers/Thc/software to use for your table upgrade, as I'm sure others will as well.

David
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

H1x2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:22 pm

By the way, the GRBL code for the Ardiuno is public domain and easy to download and install.
David

https://github.com/grbl/grbl
grbl download.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

robertspark
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by robertspark »

post some pictures and whatever info and manuals you have.

Arduino is not for CNC in my opinion, not in a working environment (that being said I have a laser cutter and 3d printer that just work, and they are effectively "arduinos".... so I am not knocking them)

I'd be interested in seeing the setup, as I'm sure we could use most of it except the Arduino.

I can even provide a plug and play solution maybe...... maybe!
H1x2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by H1x2 »

adbuch wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:48 am
H1x2 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:22 pm Hello

Was your table running and cutting properly when you first got it - two years ago? If so, what was the sequence of events that led to you having problems with your table?

I would be interested to see some photos of your table, controller, etc. I have build a diy table in the past using the Arduino loaded with GRBL (GRBL converts g-code to step/direction signals for stepper motors - x,y, z). An entire controller would be made up of the Arduino, G-shield, power supplies, and stepper motor controllers. I'm not sure how the designer of your table was using the Arduino to control servo motors, but I expect that it is possible to do. As I recall, there are servo drives that use step/direction signals which would normally control stepper motors to control the servo motors. It may be possible that you only need to replace your defective Arduino and/or associated parts to be back in business.

Tom will have some good ideas of motors/controllers/Thc/software to use for your table upgrade, as I'm sure others will as well.

David
Yes the table was running up until a couple days ago. I really only need the Arduino to get back up and running. Idk how I would find the correct code to upload it. You’re right, it is GRBL. Any idea how to do this? Willing to pay.

Here are some pics. When I asked the guy in the past for a new Arduino, I had to send him this spec pic. Idk if that helps.

H1x2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by H1x2 »

acourtjester wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 pm I will help you get things going, Send me an Private Message from here with your email and we will work things out. I'm sure there are others here that will help too.
I have built 9 DIY tables and used different software and electronics to get the experiences with them.
have fun
Tom

Thank you. We’ll be in touch.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Your last image is showing the parameter settings for the Arduino/GRBL setup. This is very easy to input once you have your replacement Arduino with GRBL loaded. Replacement Arduino boards are very inexpensive to buy. Send me a PM and I will walk you thru the process. So really no need to scrap your table, this is a simple fix. The main question is: what were the circumstances that damaged your Arduino?
David
H1x2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by H1x2 »

adbuch wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:04 am Your last image is showing the parameter settings for the Arduino/GRBL setup. This is very easy to input once you have your replacement Arduino with GRBL loaded. Replacement Arduino boards are very inexpensive to buy. Send me a PM and I will walk you thru the process. So really no need to scrap your table, this is a simple fix. The main question is: what were the circumstances that damaged your Arduino?
David
Thanks for the reply. I have some Arduino UNO’s. I’ll look into downloading the GRBL code into Arduino IDE. Assuming I just input those parameters into the code before I write it to the Arduino board? This’ll be a lifesaver if it works. I’m in the middle of a project and don’t have time to rebuild the whole table now.

The table was at the end of a 406 piece cut out of a 4’x8’ sheet. Think it was just overloaded for an Arduino. I’m assuming this isn’t a great setup for a CNC plasma anyway.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Hi H1X2 That can be fixed with replacing some of the components. You can use the Uno or the Mega Arduino units to get it working back as it was. As to the servo versa the Steppers the main differences are the servos have a feedback loop where the stepper don't. I see something that is confusing in the image you show and that is the Ramps board over the Arduino board. These are used on 3=D printers and other small size projects, and I don't think they have any circuitry for feedback. It could be the builder install servos as an improvement but with no advantage. On the servos they should have additional wiring that is for the feedback, if you only see 4 wires going to the ramps board the feedback is not used. The spec picture is the calibration and other info for the setup of the Arduino, this is very easy to re-enter after the Arduino GRBL is loaded on the Arduino I will be adding sites for you to watch to load the Arduino with the GRBL and other info soon.
In your images there is a Proma THC is it a SD or a 150 unit??
Servo info https://www.shopsabre.com/servo-vs-step ... -cnc-work/
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
H1x2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by H1x2 »

Here’s a couple additional pics. The side of the THC has an SD on it.

Is my thinking correct with downloading the GRBL into Arduino IDE and adding the parameters to the code, and then writing it to the Arduino Uno?

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

her is the videos I thing will help you installing the new uno\tutorial on loading GRBL on your Arduino

finding GRBL video

add of delete Library from Ardino IDE

If you can do the install on the Arduino on another computer. Find and download a program called Universal gcode sender (free) to change the spec info on the Uno after you have installed GRBL. if all is right you should see this in the window **** Connected to COM11 @ 115200 baud **** and the current spec info in the window. To make changes type $ (number of the change) then = then what the new value is, example ($101=3928) and return.
it will show on the bottom of the screen. to check when done type in $$ and it will show the new values in the window for you to see.
Universil Gcode sender.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Joe Jones

Post by Joe Jones »

This all reminds me of the PC vs MAC days ... The PC crowd had nothing good to say about MAC.

"You aren't REALLY a computer geek unless you can Frankenstein some PC together with this tower, and that power supply, and this video card, and that memory chip, and this little black box, and that cable, and this software hack..."

and all the while, the MAC people bought their computers, plugged them in and went to work.

This all reminds me of the Harley vs "Jap bikes" days ... The Harley guys pounded their chests.

"You aren't REALLY a biker unless you can build a running motorcycle in your back yard, using a bunch of aftermarket chrome plated junk and stolen parts, and anything you can bolt or weld together while guzzling beer and shouting profanities!"

and all the while, the Japanese motorcycle buyers bought their motorcycles and went riding, EVERY DAY, dependably. :HaHa

This all reminds me of the 70's, "Muscle Car" days...

"You don't REALLY have a car unless you have a Holley carb, and Hooker headers, and a DANA rear end, and 14:1 compression pistons, and an Isky camshaft, and Craiger wheels, and ... and ..."

and all the while, the smart guys bought a new Ford pickup or a Chevy, or a Dodge on low monthly payments, and drove everywhere in a good looking, dependable vehicle.

The exact same psychological phenomenon is happening here.

"You don't have a REAL CNC table, unless you managed to patch together a Gecko this, with an Arduino that, and a Rasberry Pi this, and you burn some hacked code onto a modified eprom chip, and connected a lot of loose wires into a rat's nest, and changes these codes, and ... and ..."

and all the while, the PlasmaCam people assembled their tables, learned the software and started cutting metal.

Chest pounding. A great American Tradition! :lol:

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

H1x2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:30 am

Thanks for the reply. I have some Arduino UNO’s. I’ll look into downloading the GRBL code into Arduino IDE. Assuming I just input those parameters into the code before I write it to the Arduino board? This’ll be a lifesaver if it works. I’m in the middle of a project and don’t have time to rebuild the whole table now.

The table was at the end of a 406 piece cut out of a 4’x8’ sheet. Think it was just overloaded for an Arduino. I’m assuming this isn’t a great setup for a CNC plasma anyway.
You will first load the grbl code into the arduino. Then connect to your arduino using your console program (I like Candle) but you should already be using some sort of software for interfacing to the arduino - this would be the program you use to send your g-code to the arduino. Once connected to the arduino, then you type in something like "$$" to bring up the paramater list. Then just scroll down the list and type in the new parameter values required (the ones shown in your photo). I generally print them out just in case I need them later.

The parameters control things like your turns ratio, max acceleration, max speed, etc. It wouldn't be a bad idea to pre-program several spare arduinos so you have some spares to swap in if the need arises. I use the Arduino Uno and bought a bunch of them for maybe $3 or $4 each. I've got a real OEM Arduino from Italy ( I believe) that I use just for "show and tell". I think I paid around $20 for that one.

I'm not sure how or why the Arduino could become "overloaded". If you think it overheated, then perhaps add a cooling fan or equivalent. It might also be a good idea to have your arduino, g-shield with drivers, etc. mounted inside a metal fan cooled enclosure properly grounded to help reduce any possible emi/rfi interference. Some folks recommend using a ups (uninterruptible power supply) to power the computer and controllers to keep them electrically isolated from the circuitry for the plasma cutter and other shop equipment which may cause electrical interference.

Another thing that is pretty important is to drive an 8 ft. copper clad steel ground rod into the ground in close proximity to your plasma table. The table and cutting grates should be connected to this ground rod using heavy gauge electrical cable. I have done this with both of my plasma table/cutters. In addition to helping to reduce noise, this serves as a safety in case you ever loose connection between your work lead ("ground") clamp and material being cut while the plasma cutter is cutting. In the event that should occur, then the plasma cutter will attempt to complete the circuit by sending a large current thru your controller, computer, and anything else in its path as it attempts to travel to ground to complete the circuit.

David
H1x2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by H1x2 »

Thanks for the replies. This is a pretty awesome community here. I'm working on the Arduino today. Hoping for some success.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

H1x2 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:05 am Thanks for the replies. This is a pretty awesome community here. I'm working on the Arduino today. Hoping for some success.
:Like :Like :Like
H1x2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by H1x2 »

acourtjester wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:47 pm her is the videos I thing will help you installing the new uno\tutorial on loading GRBL on your Arduino

finding GRBL video

add of delete Library from Ardino IDE

If you can do the install on the Arduino on another computer. Find and download a program called Universal gcode sender (free) to change the spec info on the Uno after you have installed GRBL. if all is right you should see this in the window **** Connected to COM11 @ 115200 baud **** and the current spec info in the window. To make changes type $ (number of the change) then = then what the new value is, example ($101=3928) and return.
it will show on the bottom of the screen. to check when done type in $$ and it will show the new values in the window for you to see.
Universil Gcode sender.JPG

So I uploaded GRBL to the Arduino. I then plugged it into my CNC computer. Opened UGS Platform. But I can’t get to a window that looks like yours. Not sure where I input my parameters. Mine looks like this. If I type $$ in the command line, it says GRBL has not finished booting

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It seems there are 2 UGS programs see screenshot of my desktop. Your problem is odd as the image you attached shows Comm 3 connected and the icon at the top left show you have clicked on the connection button to do that. If it is saying not finished booting it may be the Upload to the Arduino is not correct. This is the github site to upload GRBL https://github.com/gnea/grbl
GRBL.JPG
GRBL 2.JPG
UGS 3.JPG
UGS 5.JPG

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

H1x2 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:06 pm

So I uploaded GRBL to the Arduino. I then plugged it into my CNC computer. Opened UGS Platform. But I can’t get to a window that looks like yours. Not sure where I input my parameters. Mine looks like this. If I type $$ in the command line, it says GRBL has not finished booting
Perhaps you don't have the correct baud rate, or have not selected the proper port for connection to your arduino. Or perhaps the program is hanging due to incomplete code when uploaded.
David
H1x2
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by H1x2 »

Got GRBL installed on the Arduino. Connected to UGS and I get an alarm as soon as I connect. Any idea how to diagnose that? Image

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Do you know if you have any limit switches attached, these would be attached to the UNo on pins 9,10 and 11. If so you may have the firmware setup with the wrong settings for them. Like normally open or closed that may need to be changes to the other settings. Changes will be needed to be change in the GRBL firmware and then reloaded on the Uno. If you had then with the older setup but not attached now, you may need to hook them up. I'm shooting a little blind here. :Sad I think David has more experience with the Uno and GRBL as he has a table setup with that.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

You can enable both soft limits and hard limits from within the GRBL parameter list. So I don't think you need to re-flash your Arduino to accomplish this. I was originally running limit switches with my GRBL Arduino setup, but at the time I had them as normally open and they were picking up noise from my router - so I disabled them. I just set program zero to the part I am cutting and it works fine for me. Here is some information on which parameter settings you might change to match your particular limit switch setup.
David
GRBL Parameter Limit Switch settings.jpg
GRBL Parameter Limit Switch settings 1.jpg
GRBL Parameter Limit Switch settings 2.jpg

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”