Gear lash on Precision Plasma track

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
02RedWS6TA
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Gear lash on Precision Plasma track

Post by 02RedWS6TA »

Couple questions about gear lash/gear track on my Precision plasma table. When I set the table up I set the gears as tight as I could, I clamped the bottom of the motor to the track and tightened the screws down on the motor. I did that to both the X and Y axis and went about my day. My issue is this is a 5x10 and the X axis has two pieces of track to make up the 10' section. Well I've never been able to get a smooth transition over the spot where the track splits, sometimes it will actually catch on the spot. I was wondering if maybe I had the gears too tight?

When I put the track together I took a piece of track and put it over the other track, clamped it together, and welded the edges so it should've been exactly correct.

My other question does anyone know if I can just buy this track in a 12 foot section? After two years of running this I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

Thanks guys
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Gear lash on Precision Plasma track

Post by hsolve »

Good morning 02RedWS6TA.
I also have a join in my gear rack, but have not welded anything. The gear racks are designed to be butted up against each other and give a smooth transition from one to another. I am using KHK from Germany which is a 25mm wide rack. It may be that not all racks are designed to be just butted up against each other, some may need to be specially machined to be joined. I have just visited a plasmaspider member yesterday and found his racks to be tiny compared to mine. That's not to say that they don't work, in fact they work great. However the smaller the rack the more difficult it will be to do a successfull joint.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

The problem may be trying to ship a rack that long. The size rack I use is a max 6' that they sell. And I think they are machined to but together and work. I use a 2020 from Moore gear they sell other sizes and tooth setups to you may call them and check.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

The last rack I used was only 52" and 39" The ends are machined to mate up, and the drive gear rides perfect over them. I cut the small ones on my band saw, and swapped sides to always keep the machined ends.. I used the CNC router parts gear rack,and it holds off the 80/20 to allow for full teeth engagement. Not one issue with them.. It made good use of all the racks. for zero waste on the X and Y axis.. My Y axis is the long one Just like Sheetcam, and most other drawing programs..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule
02RedWS6TA
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 02RedWS6TA »

I contacted moore gear and they have 12 foot sections. Thanks guys.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Brand X wrote:The last rack I used was only 52" and 39" The ends are machined to mate up, and the drive gear rides perfect over them. I cut the small ones on my band saw, and swapped sides to always keep the machined ends.. I used the CNC router parts gear rack,and it holds off the 80/20 to allow for full teeth engagement. Not one issue with them.. It made good use of all the racks. for zero waste on the X and Y axis.. My Y axis is the long one Just like Sheetcam, and most other drawing programs..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule
Hi Brand X
Surely how you have your axis set up depends on where you call the datum for your machine and where you stand when operating it :?:
when you say "Just like Sheetcam, and most other drawing programs.." I always thought that your datum should be the same as viewing the bottom left corner of you PC screen, with the X axis along the bottom and the Y axis going up the screen.
So it all depends on how you view your table from your "operating position" to weather the long or short / bed or gantry axis are what ones :?
Just bare in mind that not every body has a long one :lol:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Just like my view of things on Layout.. You can lay it out how you want, and even change SheetCam around somewhat.. Friend has his table setup different, but the DRO read somewhat weird though..(Too me) I guess I could of put dual motors on my X axis, but somewhat hard to do IMO.. :)

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”