Need Advice Upgrading my Hobby Grade Plasma Table

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
Hambone404
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Need Advice Upgrading my Hobby Grade Plasma Table

Post by Hambone404 »

I bought a 4 x 4 CNC plasma hobby table first part of this year and want to upgrade. I can only cut at around 40 IPM on 14 gauge steel before the torch starts giving terrible jagged cuts with or without THC on. The belts are a pain to keep the gantry square and I have a single X motor that drives both sides of the gantry.

Would like to keep my electronics which I upgraded. Went from T6560 driver to Gecko G540. Upgraded Proma THC to a much better THC system. Upgraded to 381 oz Nema 23 motors. Using Mach3 and Sheetcam and Hypertherm PM 45 with T45m machine torch.

Need to upgrade my hobby grade, belt system mechanics to something better. Rack and pinion? Gear reduction?. Can anyone give some advice on a parts list and sources that I can upgrade on a showstring budget? I see a Procut CNC 4x4 LT GANTRY that looks interesting, but I have not seen any reviews. Also, would like to find or build something similar for less money if possible.

Any advice?
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Need Advice Upgrading my Hobby Grade Plasma Table

Post by urbnsr »

I can't help you directly with your questions, but until you get there, you may want to reduce the acceleration settings to help smooth out those jagged cuts. I would keep X and Y axis set to the same figure. Of course, keeping tension on the belts makes a big difference, too. What THC did you upgrade to?

HTH
Paul
Hambone404
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Hambone404 »

Thanks for your advice Paul. I went with Neuron THC. Huge difference in function and flexibility compared to the Proma THC

Brad
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Thank you, Brad.

Paul

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”