Problem with Vulcan 1800

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
TaylorMetals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Problem with Vulcan 1800

Post by TaylorMetals »

I bought an older Lockformer Vulcan 1800 5x10 table with a Pico-Path plug in controller, I powered it with a brand new Hypertherm Powermax45. I can't get any motion or the torch to fire. If I manually connect the switch that came with the plasma, it fires like it should. The controls turn on and I was able to set my system parameters with the tech from DACC Industries. He also help me figure out that my connection to my plasma is correct. He recommended that I replace the relays on the circuit board so, I did that. The guy I bought it from claimed everything worked when he used it. I pulled off a servo motor the other day and will be taking it to a friend to test. What else do I need to look at?

I've tried contacting Lockformer for some help or schematics but get nowhere. I've called the makers of the Pico-Path and haven't gotten through to a tech yet. I have talked to a salesmen and they said the control would be worth a couple hundred to them.

So, should I scrap the table and start over? I like the Plasma CAM products. But what do I do with the old table that doesn't work?

I've looked into Torchmate systems. Should I buy one and try and use my table as the base?

Or keep working and trying to get the Vulcan running?

Thanks for listening, a small venture to make some art has turned into a giant headache!!!
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Problem with Vulcan 1800

Post by CNCCAJUN »

LOGOSOL built that control system and are still in business . . .

http://www.logosolinc.com/

They should be able to help . . .

Steve :D
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
TaylorMetals
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TaylorMetals »

Update: I took off all of the old wiring and controls and replaced them with stepper motors and Mach3. I got my new electronics from Motiontek. With the help of a friend to wire up the circuits now everything is working great and I've cut out some great looking pieces. Now I'm fine tuning and learning the goods and bads of my system. The good thing is now my components are standard and I can replace them easily.

The bottom line is don't give up on your "project"! It took me a year and a half with lots of calls and emails to people I thought could help me. I also had 3 friends with over 50 years of electronics background work looking at the old setup and help with the new setup. Don't be afraid to ask for help no matter how dumb the question is, and always appreciate any help you can get.
gmc68
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by gmc68 »

What Steper motors did you go with ?
I am looking up to do the same to our V1800 and i am very suprised at the lack of documention there is on these lockfomer plasma table
rrsiso
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rrsiso »

I have a Vulcan 1800 that damaged one of the servo motors, where I can repair it. Also the software was lost when the computer got damaged. Where I can get FabShop/Vulcan software
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

rrsiso wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:28 pm I have a Vulcan 1800 that damaged one of the servo motors, where I can repair it. Also the software was lost when the computer got damaged. Where I can get FabShop/Vulcan software
Your best to contact Lockformer and explain the problem with your motor to determine if it can be repaired and they shoudl be able to provide you with the software as well.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”