LDR Table with water...Cut aluminium?

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
14u2cnc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

LDR Table with water...Cut aluminium?

Post by 14u2cnc »

Good day fellow plasma operators,

I own a 5x10 LDR Plasma Table with the Water option.
My concern is cutting aluminium after listening to people chat about the gas build up issues.
I see most tables there is no drain the table option. Mine I just throw the handle and the water is gone in minutes.
Not sure about this water bladder cavity and draining water and what issues I would face for safety.

How are people cutting aluminium with this BRAND (LDR) table?
What safety issues should I note?

Thanks in advance for any input.
LDR 5x10 table
Hypertherm PM 85
Sterling Cool Plasma Juice
ROKCRLER
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: LDR Table with water...Cut aluminium?

Post by ROKCRLER »

I've been cutting alum from 22ga to .375 without issues, but i do have a fan running across the sheet. Don't leave sheets on the table when not cutting so the water bed can vent out is all I've done.
Every once in a while I've see poofs of flame when cutting, but not booms like they talk about on the interwebs.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
SRdesign
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SRdesign »

As long as your water is an inch or or so away from your aluminum you won’t have any problems while cutting because any potential hydrogen build up can vent. We cut a ton of 11ga sheets at work and our water is about 1.5 inches below the aluminum sheets. Never had any issues. And we cut back to back sometimes for 6 hours a day. I think the issues you are mentioning are from hydrogen build up in water tanks after people have drained their tables into the holding tank. If your holding tank doesn’t have any ventilation it could lead to a large amount of hydrogen build up that wasn’t released when the water was in the water table
My 4x8 Build
DIY 4x8
C&CNC Bladerunner G5
Hypertherm PM85
14u2cnc
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 14u2cnc »

Thank You for replies....Yes exactly that is my concern...These LDR water table versions drain the water directly underneath in a cavity within the table. I can understand cutting with the water dropped for surface gas,,,but once I drop the water in my table I have a concern as you said about gas buildup...I have a small vent tube right beside the air pressure inlet to bring water to surface when cutting.
I am just wondering if any other LDR Table users cut lots of Aluminum and their exsperience and any heads up to what to exspect safety wise....I have a vision of walking in my shop and my table is a big balloon.
Have a great day...time to fire one up
LDR 5x10 table
Hypertherm PM 85
Sterling Cool Plasma Juice

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”